Date:   Tue, 15 Aug 2017 08:09:50 -0400
From:   Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>
To:     Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
Cc:     Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>, Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>,
        x86-ml <x86@...nel.org>, "Jason A. Donenfeld" <Jason@...c4.com>,
        lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: early x86 unseeded randomness

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 10:05:46AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> [...]

All of this assumes that you have different clock crystals generating
all of these different clock sources.  Otherwise there can be a lot
less entropy than you expected.

> In practice it's much faster to process the e820 table and the boot
> string though - and should already give a way to gain very good
> inter-machine randomization. It would also cover odd things like
> weird machines such as virtualization environments that often have
> nothing in the first 1MB.

There is nothing wrong with doing this --- and architecture
maintainers are encouraged to call add_device_randomness() on any
piece of data which they think might help.  That being said, these
values don't change much (boot string) or at all (e820 table) between
boots, and if you have a large collection of machines that all have
the same hardware (say, Dell desktops), and the same distro installed
on them (say, Ubuntu), it doesn't give you as much inter-machine
randomization as you might expect.

And as far as virtualization environments are concerned, the attacker
can determine quite easily from the IP address range if a VM is being
run out of an Amazon, Google, or Microsoft data center.

Finally, in some cases, we need the entropy *very* early --- for
example for kASLR, right after we get control from the boot loader.
Which is why I believe that we really do need to have the bootloader
fetching random seed material from the root file system or some other
trusted store to solve the inter-boot randomness problem.

Again, if platform code and device drivers want to call
add_device_randomness() early in the boot process --- they should
absolutely be encouraged to do this.  It is a good thing.  *AND* it is
not sufficient by itself.

Cheers,

					- Ted