Date:   Thu, 17 Aug 2017 10:20:32 +0800
From:   Ian Kent <ikent@...hat.com>
To:     Jeff Layton <jlayton@...hat.com>, NeilBrown <neilb@...e.com>,
        Trond Myklebust <trondmy@...marydata.com>,
        "viro@...iv.linux.org.uk" <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>
Cc:     "linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        "mkoutny@...e.com" <mkoutny@...e.com>,
        "linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org" <linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org>,
        "linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
        David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: Do we really need d_weak_revalidate???

On 16/08/17 19:34, Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-08-16 at 12:43 +1000, NeilBrown wrote:

>>> Not exactly, but I _think_ I might have been assuming that we needed to
>>> ensure that the inode attrs on the root were up to date after the
>>> pathwalk.
>>>
>>> I think that was probably wrong. d_revalidate is really intended to
>>> ensure that the dentry in question still points to the same inode. In
>>> the case of the root of the mount though, we don't really care about the
>>> dentry on the server at all. We're attaching the root of the mount to an
>>> inode and don't care of the dentry name changes. If we do need to ensure
>>> the inode attrs are updated, we'll just revalidate them at that point.

>>> I like idea. I say go for it and we can see what (if anything) breaks?
>>
>> Getting rid of d_weak_revalidate is easy enough - hardly any users.
>>
>> Getting rid of filename_mountpoint() isn't so easy unfortunately.
>> autofs4 uses kern_path_mountpoint() - presumably to avoid getting stuck
>> in autofs4_d_manage()?  It would be a shame to keep this infrastructure
>> around just so that one part of autofs4 can talk to another part of
>> autofs4.

When this was first implemented autofs didn't use kern_path_mountpoint()
(it didn't exist) it used a path lookup on the parent and a separate
lookup for the last component.

It's used for two operations, first to open a file handle to a (possibly)
covered autofs mount, and second to get mounted information about a path
without following past a (possibly covered) autofs mount.

It's less about not triggering an automount or getting stuck in ->d_manage()
and more about resolving paths that are not accessible via normal vfs walks.

I never thought about re-validation for either of these cases and altering
it to the way it was before filename_mountpoint() shouldn't be a problem.

>> Do you know if the fact that filename_mountpoint() skips ->d_manage is
>> important for sys_umount ??

That's a lot harder to answer, d_manage() is needed by autofs to detect
if a path walk needs to block because of some concurrent activity, usually
to avoid concurrent expire (indirectly a umount) to mount races. But it
isn't the umount it's the autofs expire that sets the flag used to block
walks (sends it to the ref-walk path), the (potential) umount comes later
as a result of the expire and the flag is cleared after expire completion.

I can talk about why ->d_manage() isn't (shouldn't) be needed for other vfs
automount users such as NFS etc. if needed.

So filename_mountpoint() skiping ->d_manage shouldn't matter to autofs at
all. If it goes away then autofs will need to revert to an alternate way
(similar to the way it was originally done) of doing the lookup.

>> Thanks,
>> NeilBrown
>>

> (cc'ing David and Ian)
>
> I'm less familiar with the automounting machinery, but I imagine you
> don't really want to go triggering new mounts when your intent is to
> unmount something. As long as that doesn't happen I'd think we'd be ok
> here.

Ian