Date:   Fri, 15 Sep 2017 09:09:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:   Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
To:     Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>
cc:     LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        X86 ML <x86@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: BUG: Sporadic crashes with current Linus tree

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:00 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de> wrote:

> >> Does tools/testing/selftests/x86/sigreturn_64 reproduce it?
> >
> > Will try tomorrow once I figured out how to compile that stuff. Invoking a
> > simple make in that directory fails.
>
> What's the error?  It works for me.

gcc -m64 -o /home/tglx/work/kernel/linus/linux/tools/testing/selftests/x86/sysret_ss_attrs_64 -O2 -g -std=gnu99 -pthread -Wall  sysret_ss_attrs.c thunks.S -lrt -ldl
/usr/bin/ld: /tmp/cco4vSkU.o: relocation R_X86_64_32S against `.text' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output

> > Built it manually and when I run it tells: stack16 is too high
> >
> >> Ugh, weird.  It kind of looks like current->thread.sp0 == NULL.  I
> >> have a patch series that changes a bunch of that code in my git tree,
> >> but that's definitely not in Linus' tree.
> >
> > Right. The stupid thing is that the machine did not throw up all day
> > neither idle nor loaded. Still the same kernel which barfed tonight several
> > times.
>
> This is weird.  The crashing process is rsyslogd, which should have
> been running for a long time and shouldn't have any strange state.  I
> wonder if this is some kind of memory corruption.  There would have to
> be corruption of thread_struct *and* some kind of issue causing IRET
> to fail, though.
>
> The attached patch could plausibly give some useful hint.

I'll put it on that machine and hope it will reproduce. Didn't die since
yesterday moring ....

Thanks,

	tglx