Date:   Sun, 24 Sep 2017 23:57:53 -0300
From:   Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti@...hat.com>
To:     Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@...hat.com>
Cc:     Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@...cle.com>,
        mingo@...hat.com, kvm@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: [patch 3/3] x86: kvm guest side support for KVM_HC_RT_PRIO
 hypercall

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 09:05:44AM -0400, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> [...]

Thats exactly what the patch does, the prioritization is not fixed in
time, and depends on whether or not vcpu-0 is in spinlock protected
section.

Are you suggesting a different prioritization? Can you describe it
please, even if incomplete?

> > Right, if you want to run RT VCPUs the whole emulator/vcpu interaction
> > needs to be designed for RT.
> >
> > > I'm not a priori opposed to paravirt scheduling primitives, but I am not
> > > at all sure that it's required.
> >
> > Problem is that the proposed thing doesn't solve anything. There is
> > nothing that prohibits the guest from triggering a vmexit while holding
> > a spinlock and landing in the self-same problems.
>
> Well, part of configuring virt for RT is (at all levels: host hypervisor+QEMU
> and guest kernel+userspace) is that vmexits while holding a spinlock are either
> confined to one vCPU or are handled in the host hypervisor very quickly, like
> less than 2000 clock cycles.
>
> So I'm not denying that Marcelo's approach solves the problem, but it's very
> heavyweight and it masks an important misconfiguration (as you write above,
> everything needs to be RT and the priorities must be designed carefully).

I think you are missing the following point:

"vcpu0 can be interrupted when its not in a spinlock protected section,
otherwise it can't."

So you _have_ to communicate to the host when the guest enters/leaves a
critical section.

So this point of "everything needs to be RT and the priorities must be
designed carefully", is this:

	WHEN in spinlock protected section (more specifically, when
	spinlock protected section _shared with realtime vcpus_),

	priority of vcpu0 > priority of emulator thread

	OTHERWISE

	priority of vcpu0 < priority of emulator thread.

(*)

So emulator thread can interrupt and inject interrupts to vcpu0.

> _However_, even if you do this, you may want to put the less important vCPUs
> and the emulator threads on the same physical CPU.  In that case, the vCPU
> can be placed at SCHED_RR to avoid starvation (while the emulator thread needs
> to stay at SCHED_FIFO and higher priority).  Some kind of trick that bumps
> spinlock critical sections in that vCPU to SCHED_FIFO, for a limited time only,
> might still be useful.

Anything that violates (*) above is going to cause excessive latencies
in realtime vcpus, via:

PCPU-0:
	* vcpu-0 grabs spinlock A.
	* event wakes up emulator thread, vcpu-0 sched out, vcpu-0 sched
	in.
PCPU-1:
	* realtime vcpu grabs spinlock-A, busy spins on emulator threads
	completion.

So its more than useful, its necessary.

I'm open to suggestions as better ways to solve this problem
while sharing emulator thread with vcpu-0 (which is something users
are interested in, for obvious economical reasons), but:

	1) Don't get the point of Peters rejection.

	2) Don't get how SCHED_RR can help the situation.