Date:   Mon, 25 Sep 2017 19:15:33 +0100
From:   Roman Gushchin <guro@...com>
To:     Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>
CC:     Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>, Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>,
        <kernel-team@...com>, David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>,
        <linux-mm@...ck.org>, Vladimir Davydov <vdavydov.dev@...il.com>,
        Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@...ove.sakura.ne.jp>,
        <cgroups@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-doc@...r.kernel.org>,
        <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [v8 0/4] cgroup-aware OOM killer

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 01:00:04PM -0400, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 02:24:00PM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > I would really appreciate some feedback from Tejun, Johannes here.

> > [...]
> > >
> > > I've tried to implement this approach, and it's really arguable.
> > > Although your example looks reasonable, the opposite example is also valid:
> > > you might want to compare whole hierarchies, and it's a quite typical usecase.
> > >
> > > Assume, you have several containerized workloads on a machine (probably,
> > > each will be contained in a memcg with memory.max set), with some hierarchy
> > > of cgroups inside. Then in case of global memory shortage we want to reclaim
> > > some memory from the biggest workload, and the selection should not depend
> > > on group_oom settings. It would be really strange, if setting group_oom will
> > > higher the chances to be killed.
> > >
> > > In other words, let's imagine processes as leaf nodes in memcg tree. We decided
> > > to select the biggest memcg and kill one or more processes inside (depending
> > > on group_oom setting), but the memcg selection doesn't depend on it.
> > > We do not compare processes from different cgroups, as well as cgroups with
> > > processes. The same should apply to cgroups: why do we want to compare cgroups
> > > from different sub-trees?
> > >
> > > While size-based comparison can be implemented with this approach,
> > > the priority-based is really weird (as David mentioned).
> > > If priorities have no hierarchical meaning at all, we lack the very important
> > > ability to enforce hierarchy oom_priority. Otherwise we have to invent some
> > > complex rules of oom_priority propagation (e.g. is someone is raising
> > > the oom_priority in parent, should it be applied to children immediately, etc).
> >
> > I would really forget about the priority at this stage. This needs
> > really much more thinking and I consider the David's usecase very
> > specialized to use it as a template for a general purpose oom
> > prioritization. I might be wrong here of course...
>
> No, I agree.
>
> > > In any case, OOM is a last resort mechanism. The goal is to reclaim some memory
> > > and do not crash the system or do not leave it in totally broken state.
> > > Any really complex mm in userspace should be applied _before_ OOM happens.
> > > So, I don't think we have to support all possible configurations here,
> > > if we're able to achieve the main goal (kill some processes and do not leave
> > > broken systems/containers).
> >
> > True but we want to have the semantic reasonably understandable. And it
> > is quite hard to explain that the oom killer hasn't selected the largest
> > memcg just because it happened to be in a deeper hierarchy which has
> > been configured to cover a different resource.
>
> Going back to Michal's example, say the user configured the following:
>
>        root
>       /    \
>      A      D
>     / \
>    B   C
>
> A global OOM event happens and we find this:
> [...]

I'm not against this model, as I've said before. It feels logical,
and will work fine in most cases.

In this case we can drop any mount/boot options, because it preserves
the existing behavior in the default configuration. A big advantage.

The only thing, I'm slightly concerned, that due to the way how we calculate
the memory footprint for tasks and memory cgroups, we will have a number
of weird edge cases. For instance, when putting a single process into
the group_oom memcg will alter the oom_score significantly and result
in significantly different chances to be killed. An obvious example will
be a task with oom_score_adj set to any non-extreme (other than 0 and -1000)
value, but it can also happen in case of constrained alloc, for instance.

If it considered to be a minor issue, we can choose this approach.

Thanks!