Date:   Sat, 7 Oct 2017 13:23:01 +0300
From:   Pantelis Antoniou <pantelis.antoniou@...sulko.com>
To:     Rob Herring <robherring2@...il.com>
Cc:     Frank Rowand <frowand.list@...il.com>,
        Grant Likely <grant.likely@...retlab.ca>,
        David Gibson <david@...son.dropbear.id.au>,
        Tom Rini <trini@...sulko.com>,
        Franklin S Cooper Jr <fcooper@...com>,
        Matt Porter <mporter@...sulko.com>,
        Simon Glass <sjg@...omium.org>,
        Phil Elwell <philip.j.elwell@...il.com>,
        Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>,
        Marek Vasut <marex@...x.de>,
        Devicetree Compiler <devicetree-compiler@...r.kernel.org>,
        "devicetree@...r.kernel.org" <devicetree@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: [RFC] yamldt v0.5, now a DTS compiler too

Hi Rob,

> On Oct 6, 2017, at 16:55 , Rob Herring <robherring2@...il.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Pantelis Antoniou
> <pantelis.antoniou@...sulko.com> wrote:
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> On Tue, 2017-10-03 at 12:13 -0500, Rob Herring wrote:

>>> One other thing, "skeleton" is a bit weird as a key. It can't be
>>> validated. All the other keys are standard words. I could write
>>> "skeloton" by mistake and I guess I'd only find the mistake when
>>> something inherits it. That's somewhat true with id, but we can at
>>> least check "id" is present and that it's value is unique among all
>>> other id values.
>>>

>> We can keep id and check that it matches the name of the enclosing node.
>> That way you can be sure that there's no error.
>>
>> But it's a bit weird cause this is similar to declaring a function name
>> with a typo. You won't find out until you use it.

>>> checks: true?
>>>
>>> I'd really like to avoid having to decide and drop this, but I don't
>>> really get why it is needed.
>>>

>> It is needed because otherwise checker filters will be generated for
>> the template bindings that while they won't be executed they will be
>> compiled and take up space in the schema.
>
> Size is not a problem I have. That can come later if needed.

>>> I looked at this some a while back. It wasn't clear to me what eBPF
>>> gives us and what you have defined on top of it. What I'm really after
>>> is documentation of the syntax and keywords here.
>>>

>> eBPF is portable, can be serialized after compiling in the schema file
>> and can be executed in the kernel.
>
> Executing in the kernel is a non-goal for me.
>
>> By stripping out all documentation related properties and nodes keeping
>> only the compiled filters you can generate a dtb blob that passed to
>> kernel can be used for verification of all runtime changes in the
>> kernel's live tree. eBPF is enforcing an execution model that is 'safe'
>> so we can be sure that no foul play is possible.
>
> Humm, if you wanted to ensure dtb's are safe, I'd think that we just
> sign them like you would for the kernel or modules.

That’s a problem when deploying; the runtime validation is for making sure
developers don’t get bogged down chasing problems when working on their
own platforms/drivers.

We have absolutely zero checks for stopping badly configured DT blobs
hanging the kernel. With runtime validation a bug that might take a few
days to figure out can be cut down to a few minutes.

>> That means that you can a) run it at boot-time, verifying the dtb blob
>> passed by the bootloader for errors (potentially disabling devices
>> that their nodes fail) and b) run it when applying overlays to reject
>> any that result in an invalid tree.
>
> Let's get verification at build time working first, then we can worry
> about something like this.
>
>> One other use that I'm thinking that might be possible too, like
>> binding version check between what the driver is compiled against and
>> what the passed blob is without using an explicit version property.
>>
>> The constraint format ofcourse is plain C, you can generate a .so using
>> the host compiler and execute that if you are looking for performance.
>>
>> Syntax and keywords of the internals is in a bit of flux right now,
>> since the binding format is not finalized yet. I'd be happy to
>> discuss the internal at ELCE.
>
> I won't be there.
>
> I'm just trying to understand what eBPF defines if anything and what's
> up for discussion.

The eBPF defines an API that the constraints use to perform validation.
Anything that can be expressed as a C method can be in the eBPF API.

> [...]
>>>
>>> Why not just a "parent" key?
>>>

>> Because the property/type prolog code would increase even for properties
>> that don't need the parent key. While generating the parent key only for
>> constraints that need it keeps the filter size smaller.
>
> One could argue that category and type are also constraints, but you
> don't express them as constraints. I think constraints should be
> limited to constraints on the value of the property which are not
> generically expressible (like type). I haven't fully thought through
> whether there's other cases.

Both type and category constraints work in what I’ve posted, using the
eBPF APIs. Taking for instance the enabled status constraint from
‘device-enabled.yaml’

> %YAML 1.1
> ---
> device-enabled:
>   title: Contraint for enabled devices
>
>   class: constraint
>   virtual: true
>
>   properties:
>     status: &device-status-enabled
>       category: optional
>       type: str
>       constraint: |
>         !exists || streq(v, "okay") || streq(v, "ok”)

It generates the following code fragment.

>         {
>         uint64_t flags;
>         const char *v = get_str(np, "status", &flags);
>         const bool badtype = !!(flags & BADTYPE);
>         const bool exists = !!(flags & EXISTS);
>
>         if (badtype)
>             return -BADTYPE_BASE - 100002;
>
>         if (!exists)
>             goto skip_100002;
>
>         /* for status from device-compatible rule */
>         if (!(
>             !exists || streq(v, "okay") || streq(v, "ok")
>         ))
>             return -PROPC_BASE - 100002;
>         skip_100002:
>           do { } while(0); /* fix goto that requires a statement */
>
>         }

Both type checking (BADTYPE) and category (EXISTS) flags are returned
and checked.

> Another problem is this constraint is not really a constraint for
> compatible as you have it, but for the whole binding.

What exactly is the difference in actual use? AFAIKT is our use of bindings and
special meaning of the compatible property.

> [...]
>>>
>>> C preprocessor doesn't sound like a great option to me.
>>>
>>> Perhaps it is by SoC compatible and boards are just an addition to the
>>> constraints. That's kind of how things are organized already.
>>>

>> The code base supports multiple constraints so we could have multiple
>> constraint properties. How would you like your SoC example to
>> work ideally?
>
> Not sure exactly other than meeting the requirements that I gave.
>
> Rob

Regards

— Pantelis