Date:   Mon, 9 Oct 2017 21:06:30 +0200
From:   "Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@...il.com>
To:     Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>
Cc:     Colm MacCárthaigh <colm@...costs.net>,
        linux-man <linux-man@...r.kernel.org>,
        lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        "linux-mm@...ck.org" <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        Linux API <linux-api@...r.kernel.org>, nilal@...hat.com,
        Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>,
        Mike Kravetz <mike.kravetz@...cle.com>
Subject: Re: [patch v2] madvise.2: Add MADV_WIPEONFORK documentation

Hi Rik,

I have a follow-up question re wipe-on-fork. What are the semantics
for this setting with respect to fork() and exec()? That is, in the
child of a fork(), does the flag remain set for the specified address
range? (My quick read of the source suggests yes, but I have not
tested.) And, when we do an exec(), my assumption is that the flag is
cleared for the address range, but it would be good to have
confirmation.

Thanks,

Michael

--