Date:   Tue, 31 Oct 2017 20:13:59 +0100
From:   Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>
To:     Shakeel Butt <shakeelb@...gle.com>
Cc:     Roman Gushchin <guro@...com>, Linux MM <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        Vladimir Davydov <vdavydov.dev@...il.com>,
        Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@...ove.sakura.ne.jp>,
        David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>,
        Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>, kernel-team@...com,
        Cgroups <cgroups@...r.kernel.org>, linux-doc@...r.kernel.org,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RESEND v12 3/6] mm, oom: cgroup-aware OOM killer

On Tue 31-10-17 20:06:44, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > > Cgroup v2 does not support charge migration between memcgs. So, there
> > > can be intermediate nodes which may contain the major charge of the
> > > processes in their leave descendents. Skipping such intermediate nodes
> > > will kind of protect such processes from oom-killer (lower on the list
> > > to be killed). Is it ok to not handle such scenario? If yes, shouldn't
> > > we document it?
> >
> > Yes, this is a real problem and the one which is not really solvable
> > without the charge migration. You simply have no clue _who_ owns the
> > memory so I assume that admins will need to setup the hierarchy which
> > allows subgroups to migrate tasks to be oom_group.
>
> Hmm, scratch that. I have completely missed that the memory controller
> disables tasks migration completely in v2. I thought the standard
> restriction about the write access to the target cgroup and a common
> ancestor holds for all controllers but now I've noticed that we
> simply disallow the migration altogether. This wasn't the case before
> 1f7dd3e5a6e4 ("cgroup: fix handling of multi-destination migration from
> subtree_control enabling") which I wasn't aware of.

Blee brain fart, I have misread the code. We return 0 which is a success
so can_attach doesn't fail and so the tasks migration should be allowed
under standard cgroup restrictions, we just do not migrate charges.

Anyway, time to stop writing emails for me today. Sorry about the
confusion.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs