Date:   Wed, 1 Nov 2017 22:44:21 +0530
From:   Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping@...il.com>
To:     shuah@...nel.org
Cc:     Laura Abbott <labbott@...hat.com>,
        kernel test robot <xiaolong.ye@...el.com>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org,
        dvhart@...radead.org,
        Bamvor Zhang Jian <bamvor.zhangjian@...aro.org>,
        Pintu Kumar <pintu_agarwal@...oo.com>, lkp@...org,
        Shuah Khan <shuahkh@....samsung.com>
Subject: Re: [lkp-robot] [android/ion] 5fb70554d6: kernel_selftests.android.make_fail

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 10:27 PM, Shuah Khan <shuah@...nel.org> wrote:
> On 11/01/2017 10:26 AM, Pintu Kumar wrote:

>>> Sorry. I am late in responding.

>>> Since staging headers aren't included in the headers install for good
>>> reasons, I have two suggestions:
>>>
>>> 1. Use bpf as an example:
>>>
>>> You will find a local include/uapi under bpf and the Makefile looks
>>> there first for headers.
>>>
>>> Also, as Greg suggested, please add comments to indicate that this
>>> header needs to be kept in sync with one from staging.
>>>
>>> This does make a copy of the header which isn't great.
>>>
>>> 2. Add a include line in the Makefile directly to point to the uapi
>>>
>>> drivers/staging/android/uapi
>>>
>>> The downside to this approach is if selftests are built outside the
>>> tree, then that would be a problem. However, being able to build selftests
>>> outside the tree requires creating a tarball of the sources first. This
>>> header could be added for that special case.
>>>
>>> I would recommend option 2 to go forward and if that doesn't work, we can
>>> refine it.
>>
>> Thank you for your reply and suggestions.
>> The option 2 is already present, if you see my Makefile.
>> But this option does not work if built outside the kernel source tree.
>> So, I am trying to maintain a local copy of ion.h
>>

> So where does the test source reside for outside builds? Is this test hosted
> on GitHub?
>
> I am not opposed to the idea of a local copy. I am trying to understand the
> outside env. that this test needs to be built? I am assuming ion test gets built
> as an independent test and nor from kernel source tree?

Sorry, I already pushed the local copy patch. I saw your reply later.
But we can continue our discussion to find more proper solution.
I really don't know about this test robot. I just got this build failure logs.
I tried all cases within the kernel source including the kselftest_install.sh.

I guess, what this tests does is, create kernel_headers inside a
folder, then copy all selftests also
inside this folder and then fire the test one by one.
But I really don't have any idea how it works.

For me also, if I have to test my code outside kernel tree, I usually
copy ion.h header file locally and test it.

But, still I have one question about staging tree kernel headers.
How the kernel headers are created in case of Android where it uses
the ion and other headers heavily?

Thanks,
Pintu