Date:   Thu, 09 Nov 2017 13:36:16 +0100
From:   Oliver Neukum <oneukum@...e.com>
To:     Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>, Max Staudt <mstaudt@...e.de>
Cc:     michal@...kovi.net, b.zolnierkie@...sung.com,
        Michal Srb <MSrb@...e.com>, Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@...e.com>,
        Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.com>, linux-fbdev@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC 00/14] Kernel based bootsplash

Am Donnerstag, den 09.11.2017, 12:56 +0100 schrieb Pavel Machek:

> "More reliable bootsplash" seems like an anti-goal. More reliable boot
> should be the goal...
>
> You should be able to display nice splash screen from initrd...
>
> We may want to fix the blinking cursor.
>
> But if there are warnings, it is better to see the warnings then to
> hide them. If root filesystem can't be mounted (for example) it is
> good to know the reason, not to stare at the blank screen (or at boot splash).

Hi,

well you are not required to use a boot splash. Though I note that
many people want a boot splash. However, if you use a boot splash
at all, you will not see the messages, so how does it matter to you
if it comes out of the initrd?

And of course we want a reliable boot, but that is an orthogonal issue.
And this solution is more reliable than plymouth.

	Regards
		Oliver