Date:   Tue, 14 Nov 2017 23:40:31 +0100
From:   Sebastian Gottschall <s.gottschall@...wrt.com>
To:     Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>
Cc:     Harsh Shandilya <msfjarvis@...il.com>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, stable@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Linux 3.10.108 (EOL)

Am 14.11.2017 um 23:18 schrieb Willy Tarreau:
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:00:46PM +0100, Sebastian Gottschall wrote:
>>> Now it is there. Please avoid to rely on it for too long and quickly
>>> upgrade to 4.4 or any other maintained version that suits your needs.
>>>
>>> Willy
>>>
>> even if EOL has to come once for sure, its the last kernel which can be used
>> on certain devices (embedded) since the kernel is growing bigger and bigger
>> and wont run good anymore with limited resource
> It's not totally true, each new kernel also provides options to disable
> certain parts that are not used by everyone (syscalls, subsystems, etc).
>
> And anyway the end of life has been indicated on kernel.org for 18 months
> and in every announce in 2017, so it cannot be a surprize anymore :-) At
> least nobody seemed to complain for all this time!

itsn no surprise for sure, but that also means i have to stay on the old
kernel for these special devices and your argument about disable certain
parts which simply turned bigger over time is no option

since it would remove features which existed before. its not that i
enable all features of the kernel. i use every kernel with the same
options (some are adjusted since they are renamed or moved)

but even then the kernel is turning into a ram and space eating monster
if i look on devices with 16 mb ram and 4 mb flash. this is mainly for
maintaining older hardware with latest updates. the more recent hardware
is getting better here

you dont seem to know how it is to work on wireless routers :-)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Regards

Sebastian Gottschall / CTO

NewMedia-NET GmbH - DD-WRT
Firmensitz:  Stubenwaldallee 21a, 64625 Bensheim
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 25473
Geschäftsführer: Peter Steinhäuser, Christian Scheele
http://www.dd-wrt.com
email: s.gottschall@...wrt.com
Tel.: +496251-582650 / Fax: +496251-5826565