Date:   Thu, 16 Nov 2017 17:42:36 +0100
From:   Marc Gonzalez <marc_gonzalez@...madesigns.com>
To:     Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@...linux.org.uk>
CC:     Nicolas Pitre <nicolas.pitre@...aro.org>,
        Alan Cox <gnomes@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux ARM <linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
        Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        John Stultz <john.stultz@...aro.org>,
        Douglas Anderson <dianders@...omium.org>,
        Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@....com>,
        Will Deacon <will.deacon@....com>,
        Jonathan Austin <jonathan.austin@....com>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
        Kevin Hilman <khilman@...nel.org>,
        Michael Turquette <mturquette@...libre.com>,
        Stephen Boyd <sboyd@...eaurora.org>,
        Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@...e-electrons.com>,
        Thibaud Cornic <thibaud_cornic@...madesigns.com>,
        Mason <slash.tmp@...e.fr>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Improving udelay/ndelay on platforms where that is possible

On 16/11/2017 17:32, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 05:26:32PM +0100, Marc Gonzalez wrote:

>>> You make sure your delays are based on a stable hardware timer.
>>> Most platforms nowadays should have a suitable timer source.
>>
>> So you propose fixing loop-based delays by using clock-based delays,
>> is that correct? (That is indeed what I did on my platform.)
>>
>> Russell stated that there are platforms using loop-based delays with
>> cpufreq enabled. I'm asking how they manage the brokenness.
>
> Quite simply, they don't have such a wide range of frequencies that can
> be selected.  They're on the order of 4x.  For example, the original
> platform that cpufreq was developed on, a StrongARM-1110 board, can
> practically range from 221MHz down to 59MHz.

Requesting 100 µs and spinning only 25 µs is still a problem,
don't you agree?

> BTW, your example above is incorrect.

A 10x increase in frequency causes a request of 100 µs to spin
only 10 µs, as written above.

The problem is not when the frequency drops -- this makes the
delay longer. The problem is when the frequency increases,
which makes the delay shorter.

Regards.