Date:   Sat, 18 Nov 2017 08:37:55 +0100
From:   Sebastian Gottschall <s.gottschall@...wrt.com>
To:     Alan Cox <gnomes@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
        Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Cc:     Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>, Harsh Shandilya <msfjarvis@...il.com>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, stable@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Linux 3.10.108 (EOL)

Am 18.11.2017 um 00:46 schrieb Alan Cox:
>>> i just wanted to throw some stones on the bloated kernel problem which is
>>> increasing
>> People used to be working on that, but then it seemed like the "size"
>> got to a point that people were comfortable with it.  Are you sure that
> There's also a lot of pushback to things that add a ton of ifdefs.
>
>> just changing some build options would not make your image smaller?
>> Letting people know sometime in the past few years that the kernel was
>> getting "too big" for you would have been good to do :)
> It's also an increasingly hard problem to deal with because the scale of
> big machines means the algorithms themselves in a modern Linux OS just
> don't make sense for a tiddly embedded router.
>
> I know lots of people build them that way but if you compare it with one
> of the more conservative *BSD builds you have to wonder why not use BSD
> instead - especially with nanoBSD ?
>
> (and BSD has the reverse problem - most BSD does not scale to a modern
> bigger machine of course).
>
> Alan
> "1.2.13 was the last true Linux"  ;-)

easy. i have to port alot of cpu platforms to bsd then and since i'm doing

wireless routers i will run into a problem with all the drivers i have
to rewrite for bsd and the bsd wireless stack is simply shit

its basicly a impossible task. and most of my code is gpl licensed. mmh
mixing with bsd code, not a good idea

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Regards

Sebastian Gottschall / CTO

NewMedia-NET GmbH - DD-WRT
Firmensitz:  Stubenwaldallee 21a, 64625 Bensheim
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 25473
Geschäftsführer: Peter Steinhäuser, Christian Scheele
http://www.dd-wrt.com
email: s.gottschall@...wrt.com
Tel.: +496251-582650 / Fax: +496251-5826565