Date:   Wed, 29 Nov 2017 22:03:12 +0800
From:   kernel test robot <xiaolong.ye@...el.com>
To:     Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>
Cc:     Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        Mel Gorman <mgorman@...e.de>, Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, lkp@...org
Subject: [lkp-robot] [sched/fair]  7d894e6e34:  hackbench.throughput -16.7%
 regression

Greeting,

FYI, we noticed a -16.7% regression of hackbench.throughput due to commit:

commit: 7d894e6e34a5cdd12309c7e4a3f830277ad4b7bf ("sched/fair: Simplify wake_affine() for the single socket case")
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git master

in testcase: hackbench
on test machine: 8 threads Ivy Bridge with 16G memory
with following parameters:

	nr_threads: 50%
	mode: process
	ipc: socket
	cpufreq_governor: performance

test-description: Hackbench is both a benchmark and a stress test for the Linux kernel scheduler.
test-url: https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/blob/master/testcases/kernel/sched/cfs-scheduler/hackbench.c

Details are as below:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

To reproduce:

        git clone https://github.com/intel/lkp-tests.git
        cd lkp-tests
        bin/lkp install job.yaml  # job file is attached in this email
        bin/lkp run     job.yaml

testcase/path_params/tbox_group/run: hackbench/50%-process-socket-performance/lkp-ivb-d01

739294fb03f59040  7d894e6e34a5cdd12309c7e4a3
----------------  --------------------------
  31562163             202%   95366243        hackbench.time.involuntary_context_switches
     47004             -17%      39177        hackbench.throughput
       740                         756        hackbench.time.percent_of_cpu_this_job_got
    187.33              11%     208.84        hackbench.time.user_time
    232783             -16%     194702        hackbench.time.minor_page_faults
  1.45e+08             146%  3.564e+08        hackbench.time.voluntary_context_switches
      6.52               7%       7.00        boot-time.dhcp
      3463                        3525        turbostat.Avg_MHz
    348391             131%     805061        vmstat.system.cs
     53266             174%     145884        vmstat.system.in
           :2          100%           2:2     dmesg.RIP:cpuidle_enter_state
  20848095             -28%   14959141 ±  3%  perf-stat.cpu-migrations
    941616              -3%     910398        perf-stat.minor-faults
    941616              -3%     910398        perf-stat.page-faults
 2.129e+08             133%  4.954e+08        perf-stat.context-switches
  14752.50             -54%    6857.15        perf-stat.instructions-per-iTLB-miss
 2.203e+12              -4%  2.113e+12        perf-stat.branch-instructions
 1.021e+10             -56%  4.464e+09        perf-stat.cache-misses
      0.74              -8%       0.68        perf-stat.ipc
 1.138e+09             -42%  6.576e+08 ±  3%  perf-stat.iTLB-loads
 1.245e+13              -5%  1.179e+13        perf-stat.instructions
 1.161e+11              22%  1.411e+11        perf-stat.cache-references
 3.765e+12              -6%  3.535e+12        perf-stat.dTLB-loads
 8.209e+09              47%  1.203e+10        perf-stat.branch-misses
 2.826e+12              -7%  2.617e+12        perf-stat.dTLB-stores
 8.438e+08             104%  1.719e+09        perf-stat.iTLB-load-misses
      8.80             -64%       3.16        perf-stat.cache-miss-rate%
      0.37              53%       0.57        perf-stat.branch-miss-rate%
      1.35               8%       1.46        perf-stat.cpi
     42.57              70%      72.34        perf-stat.iTLB-load-miss-rate%
           :2           50%           1:2     kmsg.DHCP/BOOTP:Ignoring_fragmented_reply

                                hackbench.throughput

  48000 +-+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
  47000 +-++.+..+.+.. .+..     +    +    +.              .+                 |
        |            +    +. ..            +..+.+..    .+                   |
  46000 +-+                 +                       .+.                     |
  45000 +-+                                        +                        |
  44000 +-+                                                                 |
  43000 +-+                                                                 |
  42000 +-+                                                                 |
  41000 +-+                                                                 |
  40000 +-+                                                                 |
        O    O  O O  O O  O O              O  O    O                O  O O  |
  39000 +-+O                   O O  O O  O      O    O  O O  O O  O         O
  38000 +-+-----------------------------------------------------------------+

                              perf-stat.cache-references

   1.5e+11 +-+--------------------------------------------------------------+
           O    O                              O    O             O         |
  1.45e+11 +-+    O  O   O                   O                       O O  O |
   1.4e+11 +-O         O    O O    O O  O         O   O    O                |
           |                     O        O              O    O O           O
  1.35e+11 +-+                                                              |
   1.3e+11 +-+                                                              |
  1.25e+11 +-+                                                              |
   1.2e+11 +-+..+.+..+   +..    .+.+.+..+.+..                               |
           |          + +   +.+.              .+..         +                |
  1.15e+11 +-+         +                     +    +. .+.. +                 |
           |                                        +    +                  |
   1.1e+11 +-+--------------------------------------------------------------+

                                perf-stat.cache-misses

  1.1e+10 +-+---------------------------------------------------------------+
          |      +..+. ..  +..+   +.   +..+.    .+..      .+                |
    1e+10 +-+         +                     +..+     .+.+.                  |
          |                                         +                       |
    9e+09 +-+                                                               |
    8e+09 +-+                                                               |
    7e+09 +-+                                                               |
    6e+09 +-+                                                               |
    5e+09 +-+         O                                                     |
          O O  O O  O    O O  O O      O  O O  O    O O O  O O    O  O O  O O
    4e+09 +-+---------------------O--O-----------O--------------O-----------+

                                perf-stat.branch-misses

  1.5e+10 +-+---------------------------------------------------------------+
          |                            O  O                                 |
  1.4e+10 +-+                                                               |
  1.3e+10 +-+       O O  O O                   O      O O  O O              |
          O    O              O   O  O      O       O             O  O O    |
  1.2e+10 +-O    O              O                O              O         O O
  1.1e+10 +-+                                                               |
    1e+10 +-+                                                               |
    9e+09 +-+                                                               |
    8e+09 +-+..+.+..+.  .+.+..+.+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+.+..+                |
          |           +.                                                    |
    7e+09 +-+---------------------------------------------------------------+

                              perf-stat.iTLB-load-misses

    2e+09 +-+---------------------------------------------------------------+
  1.8e+09 O-+  O    O O  O O  O                                   O  O O    |
          | O    O              O O  O O  O O  O O  O O    O    O         O |
          |                                             O    O              O
  1.6e+09 +-+                                                               |
  1.4e+09 +-+                                                               |
  1.2e+09 +-+                                                               |
          |                                    +                            |
    1e+09 +-+              +..                + +                           |
          |   .+.+..+.    +    .+.+..+.+..   +   +.. .+.  .+                |
    8e+08 +-+---------------------------------------------------------------+

                              perf-stat.context-switches

  5.5e+08 +-+---------------------------------------------------------------+
          O    O    O                          O O  O             O  O O    |
    5e+08 +-O    O    O  O O  O O O  O O  O O         O O  O O  O         O O
  4.5e+08 +-+                                                               |
    4e+08 +-+                                                               |
  3.5e+08 +-+                                                               |
    3e+08 +-+                                                               |
  2.5e+08 +-+                                                               |
    2e+08 +-+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+.+..+                |
  1.5e+08 +-+---------------------------------------------------------------+

                           perf-stat.cache-miss-rate_

  10 +-+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
   9 +-++.+..  .+.  .+.+..+..+.  .+.. .+.. .+..+..+.+..+..+                 |
   8 +-+     +.   +.           +.    +    +                                 |
   7 +-+                                                                    |
   6 +-+                                                                    |
   5 +-+                                                                    |
   4 +-+                                                                    |
   3 O-+O O  O  O O  O O  O  O O  O  O O  O O  O  O O  O  O O  O O  O  O O  O
   2 +-+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

                            perf-stat.branch-miss-rate_

   0.7 +-+------------------------------------------------------------------+
       |                              O O                                   |
  0.65 +-+                                                                  |
       |                                             O  O O  O              |
   0.6 +-+       O  O O  O       O O       O O  O                 O         |
       O  O O              O  O                   O            O    O  O O  O
  0.55 +-+     O                                                            |
   0.5 +-+                                                                  |
  0.45 +-+                                                                  |
   0.4 +-+                                                                  |
       |.. .+.. .+..    .+.+..+.. .+.. .+..+.+..+.+..+..+.+                 |
  0.35 +-+------------------------------------------------------------------+

                        perf-stat.instructions-per-iTLB-miss

  16000 +-+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
  15000 +-++.+..    .+.+        .+.. .+..+.+                                |
        |       +.+.    +   +..+    +       :   +..+.+..+.+                 |
  14000 +-+              + +                 : :                            |
  13000 +-+               +                  : :                            |
        |                                     +                             |
  12000 +-+                                                                 |
  11000 +-+                                                                 |
  10000 +-+                                                                 |
   9000 +-+                                                                 |
   8000 +-+                                                                 |
   7000 O-+O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O
   6000 +-+-----------------------------------------------------------------+

                    hackbench.time.percent_of_cpu_this_job_got

  760 +-+-----------------------O--O-----------O----------------------------+
      O  O                   O       O  O         O  O O  O O  O  O         |
      |    O  O O  O  O O                 O  O                      O  O    O
  755 +-+                  O                                             O  |
  750 +-+                                                                   |
  745 +-+                                                                   |
      |..+.+..    .+..+.+..+.+..  .+.  .+.+                                 |
      |       +.+.              +.   +.    +                                |
  740 +-+                                   +    .+..+.+..+                 |
      |                                      +.+.                           |
  735 +-+-------------------------------------------------------------------+

                       hackbench.time.voluntary_context_switches

    4e+08 +-+---------------------------------------------------------------+
          O    O                               O    O             O  O O    |
  3.5e+08 +-O    O  O O  O O  O O O  O O  O O    O    O O  O O  O         O O
    3e+08 +-+                                                               |
  2.5e+08 +-+                                                               |
    2e+08 +-+                                                               |
  1.5e+08 +-+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+.+..+                |
    1e+08 +-+---------------------------------------------------------------+

                      hackbench.time.involuntary_context_switches

  1.1e+08 +-+---------------------------------------------------------------+
          O    O                  O              O  O             O    O    |
    1e+08 +-O    O  O O  O O  O O    O O  O O  O      O O  O O  O    O    O O
    9e+07 +-+                                                               |
    8e+07 +-+                                                               |
    7e+07 +-+                                                               |
    6e+07 +-+                                                               |
    5e+07 +-+                                                               |
    4e+07 +-+                                                               |
    3e+07 +-+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+.+..+.+..+.  .+.+..+.+.+..+                |
          |                                 +.                              |
    2e+07 +-+---------------------------------------------------------------+

                                  vmstat.system.in

  160000 +-+-------------------------------------O--------------------------+
         O O  O O  O O    O    O  O O  O O    O    O  O    O    O O  O O    O
  140000 +-+            O    O              O           O    O            O |
  120000 +-+                                                                |
  100000 +-+                                                                |
   80000 +-+                                                                |
   60000 +-+                                 .+..+.+..+.  .+                |
         |.+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+           +.                  |
   40000 +-+----------------------------------------------------------------+

                                  vmstat.system.cs

  900000 +-+----------------------------------------------------------------+
         O                                                                  |
  800000 +-O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O  O O
  700000 +-+                                                                |
  600000 +-+                                                                |
  500000 +-+                                                                |
  400000 +-+                                                                |
         |.+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+.+..+                |
  300000 +-+----------------------------------------------------------------+

[*] bisect-good sample
[O] bisect-bad  sample

Disclaimer:
Results have been estimated based on internal Intel analysis and are provided
for informational purposes only. Any difference in system hardware or software
design or configuration may affect actual performance.

Thanks,
Xiaolong

View attachment "config-4.12.0-rc6-00259-g7d894e6" of type "text/plain" (160117 bytes)

View attachment "job.yaml" of type "text/plain" (4396 bytes)

View attachment "reproduce" of type "text/plain" (1710 bytes)