Date:   Thu, 30 Nov 2017 03:05:30 +0000
From:   Eric Yang <yu.yang_3@....com>
To:     Robin Murphy <robin.murphy@....com>,
Subject: RE: No check of the size passed to unmap_single in swiotlb

Yeah, as a BSP supplier we are always the first suspect when anything happen :)

> > I tried Dma-debug yesterday, it works very well,  but I think only the
> > size mismatch check may not be enough for the map entry corrupt
> > situation, some run-time warning may be better when the real
> > corruption happen.
> >
> > For most of the dma-api backend, the size mismatch may do no harm at
> > all, and even in SWIOTLB itself when the bounce buffer is not used,
> > the size mismatch do no harm either. In our case, the same buggy
> > driver works well when board has 2G DDR, but panic frequently in 4G
> > DDR because of the use of bounce buffer and these corrupted map
> > entries. it is hard to catch this kind of bugs, for when the
> > corruption happen, the kernel has all kind of reasons to panic, but
> > not even one may directly point to the real source.
>
> As I said, just because things appear to work for your test cases on your system
> in the non-bounced case doesn't mean it's universally fine.
> If this device can be integrated into non-cache-coherent systems, then over-
> unmapping of device-writable buffers will eventually cause random corruption
> and data loss to somebody, somewhere, by invalidating dirty cache lines in the
> wrong place. If this device can be integrated behind an IOMMU (and if it's
> available with a PCI/PCIe interface, assume that it will be), then any over-
> unmapping will remove other devices'
> translations and cause random DMA problems which can be even less obvious to
> debug, and cannot be 'worked around' at all (certainly on the
> arm64 and x86 implementations).

Yes, for the performance issue of swiotlb, we may be forced to enable SMMU, as you said the broken driver may not  workaround at all by kernel hack.

> > Add the warning messages is a big convenience for figure this kind of
> > issues, at least to me and the AP driver supplier, such warnings may
> > save weeks of hard debug time.
>
> I don't get it - if driver developers are writing buggy drivers and not testing with
> basic well-established features like dma-debug, that's on the driver developers.
> Optimising for the case where BSP developers happen to get lucky with a
> particular configuration in which they might see driver bugs tickle warnings
> elsewhere doesn't seem sensible. Yes, it wouldn't be utterly unacceptable for
> SWIOTLB to print a warning when it detects some (address,size) combination
> that looks like it may have gone out-of-bounds, but at that point
> swiotlb_bounce() has presumably already done the damage of overwriting
> something it shouldn't have with who knows what, and it's still only one specific
> case - for instance, you wouldn't detect if the size is too small and you haven't
> bounced
> *enough* data, but that would still make your I/O misbehave.
>
> In the end, it comes down to the difference between a) I/O going wrong and the
> system crashing, and b) the user *possibly* getting a warning they can't do
> anything about before I/O going wrong and the system crashing. Ultimately the
> driver developer still has to fix their bug, so why add code to occasionally
> antagonise the user when a developer feature tailor-made for catching such
> bugs immediately has existed for nearly 9 years?
>
> Robin.

You are right. Thanks a lot for all the information and the time spent and also the patience.

Regards,
Eric