Date:   Fri, 1 Dec 2017 09:54:43 +0000
From:   Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel@...aro.org>
To:     Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Cc:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
        "Tobin C. Harding" <me@...in.cc>,
        Matt Fleming <matt@...eblueprint.co.uk>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        "linux-efi@...r.kernel.org" <linux-efi@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] hash addresses printed with %p

On 1 December 2017 at 09:48, Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@...uxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 05:18:42PM +0000, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
>> On 30 November 2017 at 17:10, Greg Kroah-Hartman
>> <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org> wrote:

>> > Ah, it's the virt_addr file 12 times, I just ran it on my laptop:
>> >
>> > /sys/firmware/efi/runtime-map/7/virt_addr: 0xfffffffeea6ea000
>> > /sys/firmware/efi/runtime-map/5/virt_addr: 0xfffffffeee88b000
>> > /sys/firmware/efi/runtime-map/3/virt_addr: 0xfffffffefea00000
>> > /sys/firmware/efi/runtime-map/11/virt_addr: 0xfffffffed9c00000
>> > /sys/firmware/efi/runtime-map/1/virt_addr: 0xfffffffefee00000
>> > /sys/firmware/efi/runtime-map/8/virt_addr: 0xfffffffedba4e000
>> > /sys/firmware/efi/runtime-map/6/virt_addr: 0xfffffffeee2de000
>> > /sys/firmware/efi/runtime-map/4/virt_addr: 0xfffffffeeea00000
>> > /sys/firmware/efi/runtime-map/2/virt_addr: 0xfffffffefec00000
>> > /sys/firmware/efi/runtime-map/10/virt_addr: 0xfffffffed9c60000
>> > /sys/firmware/efi/runtime-map/0/virt_addr: 0xfffffffeff000000
>> > /sys/firmware/efi/runtime-map/9/virt_addr: 0xfffffffedb9c9000
>> >
>> > So changing it to use __ATTR() should fix this remaning leakage up.
>> > That is if we even really need to export these values at all.  What does
>> > userspace do with them?  Shouldn't they just be in debugfs instead?
>> >

>> These are the virtual mappings UEFI firmware regions, which must
>> remain in the same place across kexec reboots. So kexec tooling
>> consumes this information and passes it on to the incoming kernel in
>> some way.
>>
>> Note that these are not kernel addresses, so while I agree they should
>> not be world readable, they won't give you any clue as to where the
>> kernel itself is mapped.
>>
>> So the recommendation is to switch to __ATTR( ... 0400 ... ) instead?
>> If so, I'll code up a patch.
>
> If these pointers are not "real", I recommend just leaving them as-is.

That's not what I said :-)

These are real pointers, and stuff will actually be mapped there
(although I am not intimately familiar with the way x86 does this, but
on ARM [which does not have these sysfs nodes in the first place],
these mappings are only live during the time a UEFI runtime service
call is in progress, and IIRC, work was underway to do the same for
x86). So while these values don't correlate with the placement of
kernel data structures, they could still be useful for an attacker to
figure out where exploitable firmware memory regions are located,
especially given that some of these may be mapped RWX.