Date:   Mon, 4 Dec 2017 15:20:34 +0000
From:   "Bean Huo (beanhuo)" <beanhuo@...ron.com>
To:     Bart Van Assche <Bart.VanAssche@....com>,
        "linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org" <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>,
        "stable@...r.kernel.org" <stable@...r.kernel.org>
CC:     "gregkh@...uxfoundation.org" <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
        "vinholikatti@...il.com" <vinholikatti@...il.com>
Subject: RE: [EXT] Re: UFS utilities

Hi, Bart
Sorry for later!

>Hello Bean,
>
>Please be more specific. What is inconvenient about sg3_utils on embedded
>ARM systems?

Exactly, I don't know how to compile sg3_utils with static library, instead of sharing library. I used following configuration
Parameter:
./configure --enable-static=yes --build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu --host=aarch64-linux-gnu  --prefix=$PWD/out/  CC=aarch64-linux-gnu-g
    cc --target=aarch64-linux-gnu LD=aarch64-linux-gnu-ld AS=aarch64-linux-gnu-as CFLAGS=-static LDFLAGS=-static

But the object files are still dynamically linked.

ELF 64-bit LSB executable, ARM aarch64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-aarch64.so.1,
for GNU/Linux 3.7.0, BuildID[sha1]=4f01b4c9f1ff47bc00aef93950c02734b4cc8e57, not stripped.

I want it to be statically linked. Otherwise, I should copy its library to my lib folder, and sometimes for the embedded,
Need to re-build rootfs. Meanwhile, for the UFS, there are totally 27 scsi commands being used based on UFS2.1.
For the most case, we just use several sg3_utils object files, don't need to copy all object files to the ending product.

>> And also it doesn't support several UFS special command.
>
>Are you referring to SCSI commands or rather to UFS commands that fall
>outside the SCSI spec? Anyway, an approach that is used by many SCSI drivers
>to export information to user space that falls outside the SCSI spec is to
>create additional sysfs attributes. See also the sdev_attrs and shost_attrs
>members of struct scsi_host_template.

Yes, for the UFS information, I can use these interface/approach to easily get.
I am thinking how about some testing case and configuration operation.
Also, is it possible bypass SCSI stacks and go into directly UFS stack?
Thanks for your inputs.
>Bart.

//Bean Huo