Date:   Fri, 8 Dec 2017 13:38:40 -0800
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Cc:     Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
        "the arch/x86 maintainers" <x86@...nel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>,
        Brian Gerst <brgerst@...il.com>,
        David Laight <David.Laight@...lab.com>,
        Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
Subject: Re: x86/ldt: Prevent ldt inheritance on exec

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de> wrote:

> The reason why this happens is that init_new_context_ldt() is called from
> init_new_context() which obviously needs to be called for both fork() and
> exec().
>
> It would be surprising if anything relies on that behaviour, so it seems to
> be safe to remove that misfeature.

Looks sane. That said, can't we separate this out into the copy_mm()
phase only?

We have "arch_dup_mmap()" that is called on fork() only, so that could
do the LDT copy from the old mm, and the actual init_new_context would
just zero it out.

Then there wouldn't be any odd "check if this is an execve" because
the copying would be done in the right place.

Hmm?

             Linus