Date:   Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:32:01 +0200
From:   Imre Deak <imre.deak@...el.com>
To:     Daniel Drake <drake@...lessm.com>
Cc:     Chris Chiu <chiu@...lessm.com>, intel-gfx@...ts.freedesktop.org,
        "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@...nel.org>,
        "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...ysocki.net>,
        Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        ACPI Devel Maling List <linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux Upstreaming Team <linux@...lessm.com>,
        Len Brown <lenb@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [Intel-gfx] GemniLake laptops goes power off directly after
 performing suspend

On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 10:31:30AM +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Adding intel-gfx list in case i915 developers can help. Updated summary below.
>
> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 2:14 AM, Chris Chiu <chiu@...lessm.com> wrote:

> > > OK, so yes, this is a different issue.
> > > Is that suspend-to-idle or suspend-to-RAM (ACPI S3)?
> >
> > It's ACPI S3, suspend-to RAM. Due to it power off immediately,
> > difficult for me to collect useful information
>
> Multiple new Acer and Asus consumer products based on Intel GeminiLake
> N4100/N5000 fail to go into S3 suspend-to-RAM. At the point when you
> would normally expect the system to go into sleep, the computer
> completely powers off.
>
> The same happens under Windows 10 RS3, until the following Intel
> graphics driver is installed:
>
>     Package: 530967
>     Intel(R) Graphics Driver: 23.20.16.4849
>     Intel(R) Display Audio Driver: 10.00.00.1
>
> After installing this driver, Windows can now go into S3 suspend and
> also be resumed. I'm wondering if someone can check with the Windows
> gfx driver developers what this driver does to affect S3 suspend, so
> that we can fix up Linux behaviour.

To check this from the GFX side, could you open a bug at [1]? Please try
suspend/resume without the graphics driver loaded (booting with
nomodeset) and if that works suspend/resume with first setting one of
the test phases in /sys/power/state. Trying the drm-tip branch from [2]
would be also helpful. Please provide the dmesg logs at each run when
GFX is enabled, booting with drm.debug=0xe. Using netconsole or
pstore could help gathering the log when the machine just powers off.

Thanks,
Imre

[1] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=DRI
[2] git://anongit.freedesktop.org/drm-tip