Date:   Tue, 19 Dec 2017 00:06:44 +0100
From:   Javier Martinez Canillas <javierm@...hat.com>
To:     "Shaikh, Azhar" <azhar.shaikh@...el.com>,
        Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...pe.ca>
Cc:     Jarkko Sakkinen <jarkko.sakkinen@...ux.intel.com>,
        James Ettle <james@...le.org.uk>,
        "linux-integrity@...r.kernel.org" <linux-integrity@...r.kernel.org>,
        "james.l.morris@...cle.com" <james.l.morris@...cle.com>
Subject: Re: [BISECTED] tpm CLKRUN breaks PS/2 keyboard and touchpad on
 Braswell system

Hello Azhar,

On 12/18/2017 08:34 PM, Shaikh, Azhar wrote:

> [...]

Thanks for the confirmation.

>> IIUC, if CLKRUN_EN is enabled, then all the devices attached to the LPC bus
>> have to support the CLKRUN protocol. My guess is that on some Braswell
>> systems LPC power management is enabled but the TPM device doesn't have
>> CLKRUN support.
>>

> I think this is what might be happening here.

One question, what happens if the CLKRUN protocol is disabled and never enabled
again? My understanding is that the CLKRUN# signal is not required if the host
never stops the LCLK clock, and peripherals that do support the CLKRUN protocol
should still work if the CLKRUN protocol is disabled and the LCLK isn't stopped.

So from what we discussed above, I think it may be correct to completely disable
CLKRUN protocol if there's a peripheral that doesn't support it.

> Since I do not have an end product to test this on, I managed to get one BSW Reference Verification Platform(RVP). I flashed the latest Ubuntu (17.10) which is on 4.13.13 kernel version and does have the patch.
>
> I was able to use the PS/2 mouse and keyboard immediately after bootup and also after suspend/resume cycle. The system does have a TPM.(/dev/tpm0 and /dev/tpmrm0 exist)

It's not clear to me if the RVP system is the same one where you found the issue
and lead to the commit that caused the regression.

Could you please test what happens if you disable the CLKRUN_EN and never enable
it again?

Best regards,
--
Javier Martinez Canillas
Software Engineer - Desktop Hardware Enablement