Date:   Thu, 28 Dec 2017 21:13:24 -0500
From:   Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@...driver.com>
To:     Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org>
CC:     Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@...hat.com>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        Masahiro Yamada <yamada.masahiro@...ionext.com>,
        Michal Marek <michal.lkml@...kovi.net>,
        <linux-kbuild@...r.kernel.org>, <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [Regression 4.15] Can't kill CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC with fire or
 plague.

[Re: [Regression 4.15] Can't kill CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC with fire or plague.] On 28/12/2017 (Thu 11:29) Randy Dunlap wrote:

> On 12/25/2017 08:30 PM, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
> > There is a regression new to 4.15 that happens in a rather common
> > workflow which results in the frustrating situation where the user has
> > clearly disabled UNWINDER_ORC in their ".config" file, and yet they
> > still get the immediate false error saying they need libelf-dev since
> > "CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y" is still set, and hence they can not build.
> >
> > The regression requires UNWINDER_ORC=y (now the default in commit
> > fc72ae40e303) followed by the user subsequently disabling it, which is
> > common if the user doesn't have libelf-dev and doesn't care about ORC.
> >
> > This happens because the recently added test in the top level Makefile
> > assumes that ,config data will be mapped into include/config/auto.conf
> > either by the end user running "make oldconfig" or the Makefile itself
> > detecting that "silentoldconfig" should be run.  As the simple
> > reproducer below shows, this clearly does not happen as expected.
> >
> > Note that the test for CONFIG_STACK_VALIDATION and libelf-dev in the
> > same place in the Makefile is broken in the same way, but since it is a
> > warning and not an error, nobody cared about the bogus false positives.
>
> Yeah, that's odd.
>
> > Since there is no way I'm going to debug Makefile stuff on Christmas
> > Day, I figured that I should at least report it intstead.  The work
> > around is to save your .config and run a "make distclean" or manually
> > clobber the stale include/config/auto.conf or similar.  But a frustrated
> > user wouldn't know that w/o the root cause...
> >

> I have tried to reproduce this multiple times but cannot do so.
> It remains with:
>
> > grep UNWINDER .config
> # CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC is not set
> CONFIG_UNWINDER_FRAME_POINTER=y

As it should.  Please re-read the reproducer and the above.  The data in
the .config is exactly as it should be.  The include/config/auto.conf
having stale data with ORC still listed as enabled is the issue.

Also note you need a machine with libelf-dev not installed, at the risk
of stating the obvious.

Paul.