Date:   Sat, 30 Dec 2017 12:31:32 -0500
From:   Alexandru Chirvasitu <achirvasub@...il.com>
To:     Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@...ux.intel.com>,
        Joonas Lahtinen <joonas.lahtinen@...ux.intel.com>,
        Rodrigo Vivi <rodrigo.vivi@...el.com>
Cc:     intel-gfx@...ts.freedesktop.org,
        kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: PROBLEM: i915 causes complete desktop freezes in 4.15-rc5

Short description: I get freezes of my desktop completely eliminating
mouse / keyboard functionality.

I’m on an UltraLap 5330, Processor: i7-7500U, Memory: 32 GB DDR4-2133
Video Card: Intel HD (included). It's running Void linux 64 bit. That
distro's latest kernel is 4.14.8, but I've been trying out the 4.15-rc
kernels. This has happened with rc3, rc4 and currently rc5.

I can ssh into the frozen machine and roam around freely. Xorg shows
as <defunct> when I do, and nothing I have tried on the command line
has succeeded in restroing functionality (killing processes, changing
runlevels, etc.; there's no visible response from the computer). Only
reboots resolve the matter (button reboots or issued as commands
through ssh).

While ssh-d in I can get the dmesg log, which is attached. The
relevant portion is presumably the trace at the very end.

The problem is difficult to reproduce reliably, as I have been unable
to detect a pattern to the freezes; they are not frequent, and appear
to be random. For instance, I have not yet had one on the native
4.14.8 kernel the distro is running, but I cannot be certain they
won't happen in the future.

I am also attaching the config I used to make the 4.15-rc5 kernel
running on this machine; I used Linus' tree, commit '464e1d5 Linux
4.15-rc5'.

Thank you.

P.S.

I am emailing the maintainers listed under INTEL DRM in the
MAINTAINERS file. Do let me know if I should cc in anyone else.

View attachment "config-4.15.0-rc5-custom" of type "text/plain" (196908 bytes)

View attachment "log" of type "text/plain" (58228 bytes)