Date:   Tue, 20 Mar 2018 07:03:22 -0700
From:   Tony Lindgren <tony@...mide.com>
To:     Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
Cc:     kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-arm-kernel <linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
        linux-omap@...r.kernel.org, sre@...nel.org, nekit1000@...il.com,
        mpartap@....net
Subject: Re: 4.16-rc5 on Motorola Droid 4

* Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz> [180318 22:05]:
> Hi!
>
> I have the phone, I have safestrap installed, kexec seems to work
> (crashes my system). But I can't get any output from the new kernel.
>
> All the howtos assume serial connection, but I don't yet have
> that. I'm really bad at soldering. IIRC display should work in the
> latest kernels, maybe with some patches?

Yeah display related stuff is half merged in Linux next, backlight
needs some binding changes from what I remember. I think the
minimal set is something like this against v4.16-rc:

backlight: add TI LMU backlight driver
drm/omap: add framedone interrupt support
drm/omap: add manual update detection helper
drm/omap: add support for manually updated displays

Then also audio support is also half merged and need few patches
if you check the mailing list archives for cpcap codec related
patches.

Maybe get somebody to help you locally with the debug cable
soldering? :)

> Could someone give me .config and git hash that works for him? Once I
> get working display I should be able to continue easily. I'd really
> like to get voice calls working...

You want to use omapdrm, below is what I'm using with loadable
modules with Linux next based on omap2plus_defconfig. It has some
extra debug options enabled too that you might want to ignore,
I'll try to send the defconfig related patches out too.

Basically you need the CONFIG_MFD_TI_LMU, CONFIG_DRM_OMAP and
CONFIG_DRM_OMAP_PANEL_DSI_CM related options.

> I took a brief look through dts, and I did not find anything that
> could be easily used for debugging. (It seems that capslock LED and
> keyboard backlight is not yet supported? Also volume down  seems to be
> supported but not volume up, funny).

Oh I thought we had all the LEDs mapped already? Volume down is
on the internal keypad, then volume up is on a GPIO controller.
I guess to allow chords for the bootloader.

Regards,

Tony

View attachment "defconfig-d4" of type "text/plain" (13966 bytes)