Date:   Thu, 3 May 2018 16:14:57 +0000
From:   Sasha Levin <Alexander.Levin@...rosoft.com>
To:     Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>
CC:     "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
        Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>,
        Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
        "ksummit-discuss@...ts.linuxfoundation.org"
        <ksummit-discuss@...ts.linuxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-discuss] bug-introducing patches

On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 06:00:46PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
>On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 03:01:08PM +0000, Sasha Levin wrote:
>> On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 04:52:05PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
>> >I wouldn't be much surprised if you'd find that among those not introduced
>> >in the current merge window, many were introduced in the previous release.
>>
>> Interesting. Here it is for v4.16-rcX fixes that fix something
>> introduced before v4.14:
>>
>> rc1 30
>> rc2 87
>> rc3 51
>> rc4 68
>> rc5 23
>> rc6 113
>> rc7 61
>>
>> So I'm not sure if what you described is really the case.
>
>This is rather interesting and probably deserves some analysis or
>explanation. I agree that probably a number of the 61 fixes in rc7
>could have cooked a little bit more if they fixed 5 months-old bugs.

I tried looking at a few commits that came in on -rc7, and I see quite a
few cases where a commit was merged to Linus' tree in about 24 hours
after it was authored. Or maintainers who just wrote it, pushed it in,
and shipped in to Linus.

I've attached the data I used. The columns are as follows:

1. Commit ID
2. When was it merged
3. How many days it spent in -next
4. What commit did it fix
5. When was that commit merged

View attachment "416_fixes.txt" of type "text/plain" (71347 bytes)