Date:   Mon, 11 Jun 2018 15:49:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:   Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...icios.com>
To:     Carlos O'Donell <carlos@...hat.com>,
        Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
Cc:     Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
        Boqun Feng <boqun.feng@...il.com>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        libc-alpha <libc-alpha@...rceware.org>
Subject: Restartable Sequences system call merged into Linux

Hi!

Good news! The restartable sequences (rseq) system call is now merged into the master
branch of the Linux kernel within the 4.18 merge window:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/d82991a8688ad128b46db1b42d5d84396487a508

It would be important to discuss how we should proceed to integrate the library part
of rseq (see tools/testing/selftests/rseq/rseq*.{ch}) into glibc, or if it should
live in a standalone project.

It should be noted that there can be only one rseq TLS area registered per thread,
which can then be used by many libraries and by the executable, so this is a
process-wide (per-thread) resource that we need to manage carefully.

Thoughts ?

Thanks!

Mathieu

--