Date:   Wed, 13 Jun 2018 15:35:08 +0200
From:   Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
To:     Jean Delvare <jdelvare@...e.de>
Cc:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
        Andreas Grünbacher
        <andreas.gruenbacher@...il.com>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <bigeasy@...utronix.de>,
        Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>,
        quilt-dev@...gnu.org, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@...hat.com>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Paul McKenney <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Quilt vs gmail

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 03:00:25PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 12:23:26 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 11:52 AM Andreas Grünbacher
> > <andreas.gruenbacher@...il.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Quilt uses those Content-Disposition headers to preserve the patch
> > > filenames;
> >
> > That' what I was assuming, but does anybody really care?
>
> Long ago (probably a decade by now, literally) I wrote a shell script
> named "rename-patch" for Greg KH which suggests a file name for a patch
> received by e-mail. The script first looks for a "filename" attribute
> in the Content-Disposition header, and only if not found, falls back to
> a heuristic which attempts to generate a good-looking file name based
> on the e-mail's subject.
>
> The script used to be published on my kernel.org personal web space,
> but went away when kernel.org got hacked, and I never bothered
> publishing my few scripts again, sorry about that.
>
> I'm still using that script myself, to name patches generated with "git
> show --pretty=email", however there is no Content-Disposition header
> there, so the subject heuristic is always used. I don't know if Greg is
> still using rename-patch in combination with quilt. Greg?

Yes I am, I also use it for other things, it's quite useful to me.  It's
attached below if anyone else wants it.

But I don't really use the Content-Disposition portion of the logic in
that script much, if any, anymore as I handle most of my normal kernel
work using git.  I only use quilt these days for local work before using
git, and for all of my stable kernel work.

So if that logic goes away in quilt, I'm not going to miss it :)

thanks,

greg k-h

View attachment "rename-patch" of type "text/plain" (2077 bytes)