Date:   Wed, 11 Jul 2018 09:57:50 -0700
From:   Yang Shi <yang.shi@...ux.alibaba.com>
To:     Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>
Cc:     willy@...radead.org, ldufour@...ux.vnet.ibm.com,
        kirill@...temov.name, akpm@...ux-foundation.org,
        linux-mm@...ck.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC v4 0/3] mm: zap pages with read mmap_sem in munmap for large
 mapping

On 7/11/18 3:33 AM, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Wed 11-07-18 07:34:06, Yang Shi wrote:
>> Background:
>> Recently, when we ran some vm scalability tests on machines with large memory,
>> we ran into a couple of mmap_sem scalability issues when unmapping large memory
>> space, please refer to https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/14/733 and
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/2/20/576.
>>

>> History:
>> Then akpm suggested to unmap large mapping section by section and drop mmap_sem
>> at a time to mitigate it (see https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/6/784).
>>
>> V1 patch series was submitted to the mailing list per Andrew's suggestion
>> (see https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/20/786). Then I received a lot great feedback
>> and suggestions.
>>
>> Then this topic was discussed on LSFMM summit 2018. In the summit, Michal Hocko
>> suggested (also in the v1 patches review) to try "two phases" approach. Zapping
>> pages with read mmap_sem, then doing via cleanup with write mmap_sem (for
>> discussion detail, see https://lwn.net/Articles/753269/)
>>

>> Approach:
>> Zapping pages is the most time consuming part, according to the suggestion from
>> Michal Hocko [1], zapping pages can be done with holding read mmap_sem, like
>> what MADV_DONTNEED does. Then re-acquire write mmap_sem to cleanup vmas.
>>
>> But, we can't call MADV_DONTNEED directly, since there are two major drawbacks:
>>    * The unexpected state from PF if it wins the race in the middle of munmap.
>>      It may return zero page, instead of the content or SIGSEGV.
>>    * Can’t handle VM_LOCKED | VM_HUGETLB | VM_PFNMAP and uprobe mappings, which
>>      is a showstopper from akpm
> I do not really understand why this is a showstopper. This is a mere
> optimization. VM_LOCKED ranges are usually not that large. VM_HUGETLB
> can be quite large alright but this should be doable on top. Is there
> any reason to block any "cover most mappings first" patch?
>
>> And, some part may need write mmap_sem, for example, vma splitting. So, the
>> design is as follows:
>>          acquire write mmap_sem
>>          lookup vmas (find and split vmas)
>>          set VM_DEAD flags
>>          deal with special mappings
>>          downgrade_write
>>
>>          zap pages
>>          release mmap_sem
>>
>>          retake mmap_sem exclusively
>>          cleanup vmas
>>          release mmap_sem
> Please explain why dropping the lock and then ratake it to cleanup vmas
> is OK. This is really important because parallel thread could have
> changed the underlying address space range.

Yes, the address space could be changed after retaking the lock.
Actually, here do_munmap() is called in the new patch to do the cleanup
work as Kirill suggested, which will re-lookup vmas and deal with any
address space change.

If there is no address space change, actually it just clean up vmas.

> Moreover
>
>>   include/linux/mm.h  |   8 +++
>>   include/linux/oom.h |  20 -------
>>   mm/huge_memory.c    |   4 +-
>>   mm/hugetlb.c        |   5 ++
>>   mm/memory.c         |  57 ++++++++++++++++---
>>   mm/mmap.c           | 221 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------
>>   mm/shmem.c          |   9 ++-
>>   7 files changed, 255 insertions(+), 69 deletions(-)
> this is not a small change for something that could be achieved
> from the userspace trivially (just call madvise before munmap - library
> can hide this). Most workloads will even not care about races because
> they simply do not play tricks with mmaps and userspace MM. So why do we
> want to put the additional complexity into the kernel?
>
> Note that I am _not_ saying this is a wrong idea, we just need some
> pretty sounds arguments to justify the additional complexity which is
> mostly based on our fear that somebody might be doing something
> (half)insane or dubious at best.

I agree with Kirill that we can't rely on sane userspace to handle
kernel latency issue. Moreover, we even don't know if they are sane
enough or not at all.

Yang