Date:   Mon, 23 Jul 2018 16:10:41 -0400
From:   Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
To:     Lai Jiangshan <jiangshanlai@...il.com>
Cc:     "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
        Josh Triplett <josh@...htriplett.org>,
        Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...icios.com>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>, oleg@...hat.com,
        Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>, davem@...emloft.net,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: Consolidating RCU-bh, RCU-preempt, and RCU-sched

Sorry for the late reply, just came back from the Caribbean :-) :-) :-)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 11:47:18 +0800
Lai Jiangshan <jiangshanlai@...il.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 8:02 AM, Paul E. McKenney
> <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I now have a semi-reasonable prototype of changes consolidating the
> > RCU-bh, RCU-preempt, and RCU-sched update-side APIs in my -rcu tree.
> > There are likely still bugs to be fixed and probably other issues as well,
> > but a prototype does exist.

What's the rational for all this churn? Linus's complaining that there
are too many RCU variants?

> [...]
> >
> > o       The actual consolidation and post-consolidation cleanup is slated
> >         for the merge window after v4.19 (v5.0?).  These cleanups include
> >         the replacements called out below within the RCU implementation
> >         itself (but excluding kernel/rcu/sync.c, see question below).
> >
> > o       Replacement of now-obsolete update APIs is slated for the second
> >         merge window after v4.19 (v5.1?).  The replacements are currently
> >         expected to be as follows:
> >
> >         synchronize_rcu_bh() -> synchronize_rcu()
> >         synchronize_rcu_bh_expedited() -> synchronize_rcu_expedited()
> >         call_rcu_bh() -> call_rcu()
> >         rcu_barrier_bh() -> rcu_barrier()
> >         synchronize_sched() -> synchronize_rcu()
> >         synchronize_sched_expedited() -> synchronize_rcu_expedited()
> >         call_rcu_sched() -> call_rcu()
> >         rcu_barrier_sched() -> rcu_barrier()
> >         get_state_synchronize_sched() -> get_state_synchronize_rcu()
> >         cond_synchronize_sched() -> cond_synchronize_rcu()
> >         synchronize_rcu_mult() -> synchronize_rcu()
> >
> >         I have done light testing of these replacements with good results.
> >
> > Any objections to this timeline?
> >
> > I also have some questions on the ultimate end point.  I have default
> > choices, which I will likely take if there is no discussion.

> >         Currently, I am thinking in terms of keeping the per-flavor
> >         read-side functions.  For example, rcu_read_lock_bh() would
> >         continue to disable softirq, and would also continue to tell
> >         lockdep about the RCU-bh read-side critical section.  However,
> >         synchronize_rcu() will wait for all flavors of read-side critical
> >         sections, including those introduced by (say) preempt_disable(),
> >         so there will no longer be any possibility of mismatching (say)
> >         RCU-bh readers with RCU-sched updaters.
> >
> >         I could imagine other ways of handling this, including:
> >
> >         a.      Eliminate rcu_read_lock_bh() in favor of
> >                 local_bh_disable() and so on.  Rely on lockdep
> >                 instrumentation of these other functions to identify RCU
> >                 readers, introducing such instrumentation as needed.  I am
> >                 not a fan of this approach because of the large number of
> >                 places in the Linux kernel where interrupts, preemption,
> >                 and softirqs are enabled or disabled "behind the scenes".
> >
> >         b.      Eliminate rcu_read_lock_bh() in favor of rcu_read_lock(),
> >                 and required callers to also disable softirqs, preemption,
> >                 or whatever as needed.  I am not a fan of this approach
> >                 because it seems a lot less convenient to users of RCU-bh
> >                 and RCU-sched.
> >
> >         At the moment, I therefore favor keeping the RCU-bh and RCU-sched
> >         read-side APIs.  But are there better approaches?
>
> Hello, Paul
>
> Since local_bh_disable() will be guaranteed to be protected by RCU
> and more general. I'm afraid it will be preferred over
> rcu_read_lock_bh() which will be gradually being phased out.
>
> In other words, keeping the RCU-bh read-side APIs will be a slower
> version of the option A. So will the same approach for the RCU-sched.
> But it'll still be better than the hurrying option A, IMHO.

Now when all this gets done, is synchronize_rcu() going to just wait
for everything to pass? (scheduling, RCU readers, softirqs, etc) Is
there any worry about lengthening the time of synchronize_rcu?

-- Steve