Date:   Fri, 17 Aug 2018 10:29:44 +0800
From:   Daniel Drake <drake@...lessm.com>
To:     "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...ysocki.net>
Cc:     Chris Chiu <chiu@...lessm.com>,
        Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>,
        linux-input <linux-input@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux PM <linux-pm@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux Upstreaming Team <linux@...lessm.com>
Subject: Re: Built in PS2 keyboard in new ASUS/acer laptops can not wake up
 system after s2idle

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 7:17 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@...ysocki.net> wrote:
>> 'echo enabled > /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/power/wakeup' can get the
>> keyboard wake up the system as expected. We considered to work out a DMI
>> based quirk for this. But based on the information that EC would not signal SCI
>> event for WiskyLake models, we'd like to know if there's any generic solution?
>> Maybe a 'udev' rule to identify WiskyLake NoteBook then enable the keyboard
>> wake up?
>
> A udev rule sounds like a good idea to me.

What would the udev rule look like though?

Match for Intel CPU generation (WhiskyLake) and laptop chassis type
and then enable i8042 wakeups? While that seems like the most accurate
reflection of the situation which we are seeing across multiple
vendors, it doesn't feel right and seems unlikely to be accepted by
systemd upstream.

In previous designs, pressing a key while the system was in S3 sleep
would cause a SCI interrupt due to the firing of the EC GPE, which
effectively meant that keyboard wakeups were on by default and could
not be disabled. Also USB keyboards have wakeups on by default (see
usbhid_start()). Just these new platforms have this
unfortunate/accidental behaviour change...

Would it make sense to turn i8042 wakeups on by default on the kernel
side? I don't know if any particular conditions are applied, but that
would appear to be the default Win10 behaviour here.

Daniel