Date:   Mon, 10 Sep 2018 23:28:20 +0200
From:   Sebastian Reichel <sre@...nel.org>
To:     Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@...asonboard.com>
Cc:     Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen@...com>,
        Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>, dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-arm-kernel <linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
        linux-omap@...r.kernel.org, tony@...mide.com, nekit1000@...il.com,
        mpartap@....net, merlijn@...zup.org
Subject: Re: omap4: support for manually updated display

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 03:24:37PM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> On Monday, 10 September 2018 14:59:23 EEST Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
> > On 30/08/18 12:04, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > There's neat series of patches on
> > >
> > > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap.git/log/
> > > ?h=droid4-pending-v4.19
> > >
> > > They enable display support for my hardware. As you can imagine,
> > > display is rather important for a cellphone.
> > >
> > > Tomi, can you take the patches? I can resubmit them in email, or
> > > shuffle them to another branch without mfd changes, or clean them up
> > > etc...
> >
> > A large omapdrm change set from Laurent was merged into drm-next, and
> > I'm certain they conflict with this series. Laurent also has continued
> > that work, and while those new patches haven't been sent for review yet,
> > I fear they'll also conflict with these.
> >
> > So in the minimum, a rebase on top of drm-next is needed.
> >
> > I also continue to be very worried that adding DSI support to omapdrm at
> > this stage will be a huge extra burden for Laurent's work.
> >
> > We should transform the panel-dsi-cm.c towards the common DRM model.
> > With a quick look, there seems to be a driver for Samsung's S6E63J0X03
> > panel. So possibly all the DSI features are there in the DRM framework,
> > but someone needs to check that and start working on panel-dsi-cm.c so
> > that it's ready when we finally switch to the DRM model.
> >
> > In my opinion, which I've also expressed before, the above work is much
> > easier to do by first changing the omapdrm to DRM model, without any DSI
> > displays, and then add the DSI command mode support. But if people
> > insist on adding the DSI support already now, I would appreciate the
> > same people working on the DSI support so that Laurent doesn't have to
> > do it all.
>
> I want to make it clear that I don't want to claim any privilege in getting
> patches merged first. I am however worried that, without an easy way to test
> DSI support, and without enough time to focus on it, I would break whatever
> would be merged now in future reworks. I would thus like to find out how to
> collaborate on this task, hopefully to move towards usage of drm_bridge and
> drm_panel for DSI-based pipelines.

I'm currently quite busy and barely find enough time to do my work
as power-supply subsystem maintainer, but I already started to
rebase the series. I agree, that it would be very nice to move towards
usage of common DRM framework(s), but it's also nice to see which
patch breaks DSI ;)

P.S.: Laurent, if its helpful for your work I'm willing to sponsor
a Droid 4. It's OMAP4 based and uses a manually updated DSI panel.

-- Sebastian

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)