Date:   Thu, 20 Sep 2018 17:21:20 +0530
From:   Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping@...il.com>
To:     rppt@...ux.vnet.ibm.com
Cc:     open list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@...linux.org.uk>,
        linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org, linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: KSM not working in 4.9 Kernel

Hi,

Thank you so much for all your reply so far.
I have few more doubts to understand the output from ksm sysfs.
Device: Hikey620 - ARM64 - Linux 4.9.20
With HUGE page enabled:
CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE=y
CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE_ALWAYS=y
# CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE_MADVISE is not set

Currently, I get this output, when I run below program with ksm:

~ # grep -H '' /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/*
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/full_scans:29
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/page_comparisons:39584
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_hashed:11672
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_scanned:21766
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_shared:3
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_sharing:10097
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_to_scan:200
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_unshared:53
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_volatile:1
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run:0
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/sleep_millisecs:1000
---------------------------

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
        int i, n, size, ret;
        char *buffer;
        void *addr;

        n = 100;
        size = 100 * getpagesize();
        for (i = 0; i < n; i++) {
                buffer = (char *)malloc(size);
                memset(buffer, 0xff, size);
                madvise(buffer, size, MADV_MERGEABLE);
                if (ret < 0) {
                        fprintf(stderr, "malloc madvise failed: ret:
%d, reason: %s\n", ret, strerror(errno));
                }
                usleep(500);
        }
        printf("Done....press ^C\n");
        pause();
        return 0;
}
Note: madvise() system call is not failing here, as mentioned earlier.
I guess the page is aligned with getpagesize().
Then I do this to invoke ksm:
# echo 1 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run
# ./malloc-test.out &
# sleep 5
# echo 0 > /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run
#

Also, the anon pages in the system shows like this:
BEFORE:
-------------
~ # cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i anon
Active(anon):      40740 kB
Inactive(anon):        0 kB
AnonPages:         40760 kB
AnonHugePages:         0 kB

AFTER MERGING:
--------------------------
~ # cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i anon
Active(anon):        440 kB
Inactive(anon):        0 kB
AnonPages:           188 kB
AnonHugePages:         0 kB

I want to understand the KSM output w.r.t to the above program, and
cross-check if the output is correct.
Can someone help me to understand it?

As of now, what I understood is that:
- I am allocating around 400KB of memory 100 times. That is: 100 * 100
* 4K = 10000 pages (which are all with similar content).
- Output says: 10097 page_sharing happened.
- Pages currently shared is: 3
- So total pages are: 10097 + 3 = 10100

I could not understand from where the additional 100 pages came from?
Also, why some pages are shown as: pages_unshared ?
What can I interpret from this?
And, what does it mean by: pages_volatile:1 ?

Basically, I wanted to understand, is there any problem with the above
output, or it is fine.
If it is fine, how to prove it?

Thanks,
Pintu