Date:   Tue, 25 Sep 2018 09:18:02 +0100
From:   Andrew Murray <andrew.murray@....com>
To:     Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@...tlin.com>
Cc:     Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@...linux.org.uk>,
        Baruch Siach <baruch@...s.co.il>,
        Lorenzo Pieralisi <lorenzo.pieralisi@....com>,
        Jason Cooper <jason@...edaemon.net>, linux-pci@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>,
        Jan Kundrát <jan.kundrat@...net.cz>,
        linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org
Subject: Re: [BISECTED] Regression: Solidrun Clearfog Base won't boot since
 "PCI: mvebu: Only remap I/O space if configured"

Hi Thomas,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 02:12:03PM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 12:13:41 +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
>
> > > But being able to unmap it would also be needed to be able to remove
> > > PCI host controller drivers, and therefore compile them as module, and
> > > make them more like any other drivers.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure why we need to guarantee that the I/O space is always
> > > mapped:
> > >
> > >  - It isn't mapped before the PCI controller driver does the mapping.
> > >
> > >  - There is no reason for it to be accessed when the PCI controller
> > >    driver is not initialized: PCI devices can only be probed and
> > >    initialized when the PCI controller driver is probed/initialized.
> >
> > There are historic reasons.  PCI provides ISA IO space, and when you
> > have a machine with ISA peripherals present, the PCI IO space must
> > never be unmapped - if it is, ISA drivers will oops the kernel.  There
> > is no way for a vanishing PCI controller to cause ISA drivers to be
> > unbound.
> >
> > If you have a host controller that does unmap PCI IO space and you have
> > ISA peripherals with drivers present, unbinding the PCI host controller
> > will remove the IO space mapping, and next time an ISA peripheral
> > touches IO space, the kernel will oops.
>
> Thanks for sharing some additional technical context on this, very
> useful.
>
> I have another question though: shouldn't those ISA devices be child
> devices of the PCI controller, if they use some resources of the PCI
> controller ? Could you give an example of such an ISA device driver ?

Legacy VGA also falls into this category - for example
drivers/video/console/vgacon.c will happily use outb/inb macros to hard
coded addresses which are hoped to be present on some PCI/ISA bus.

With regards to ISA drivers - take a look for anything that registers with
isa_register_driver - for example:

drivers/input/touchscreen/htcpen.c
drivers/net/ethernet/3com/3c509.c
drivers/watchdog/ebc-c384_wdt.c

None of these drivers do any kind of mapping before attempting to access
these addresses.

Thanks,

Andrew Murray