Date:   Wed, 26 Sep 2018 15:45:02 +0200
From:   Bastien Nocera <hadess@...ess.net>
To:     Dollinger Florian <dollinger.florian@....de>,
        andrew.smirnov@...il.com
Cc:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-input-owner@...nel.org,
        linux-input@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: hid: microsoft: Add rumble support for Xbox One S controller

Hey Florian,

On Wed, 2018-09-26 at 14:51 +0200, Dollinger Florian wrote:
> From: Florian Dollinger <dollinger.florian@....de>
>
> Hi there! Why do you re-engineer the wheel? :) There is already a
> fully functional and tested driver out there (
> https://github.com/atar-axis/xpadneo). Would be much easier to help
> me (the owner of xpadneo) to push it into the kernel.

Probably because he didn't know about it, and how would he? I also
didn't know about it, because it didn't exist last I worked on those
joypads.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the XBox One S controller
working over Bluetooth, without success, and I see that you have a
patch for that which you didn't send upstream either:
https://github.com/atar-axis/xpadneo/blob/master/misc/kernel_patches/0001-fix_bluetooth_reconnect.patch

I can imagine that a large portion of the driver can be integrated in
the existing XBox pad driver, with each feature added in individual
patches.

If I get the time, there are good chances I will send a patch to
integrate the battery reporting in the existing driver at least, and
then add support for missing buttons if there's a problem there (I see
that mentioned in the README).

"Trigger Force Feedback" is likely something that would need to be
integrated at a lower level, this is probably not something we'd want
to have replicated in each driver.

Cheers