Date:   Mon, 1 Oct 2018 14:00:28 -0600
From:   Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>
To:     Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@...il.com>
Cc:     linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
        util-linux@...r.kernel.org,
        Andy Shevchenko <andy.shevchenko@...il.com>,
        Karel Zak <kzak@...hat.com>, Andreas Bombe <aeb@...ian.org>,
        Andreas Bombe <andreas.bombe@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Future of dosfstools project (FAT)

On Sep 29, 2018, at 2:40 AM, Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@...il.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Last year I did some research how Windows and Linux tools handle FAT
> labels (boot sector vs root directory) and proposed some unification.
> More in thread: https://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/msg2640891.html
>
> My proposed change for manipulating with FAT labels is now implemented
> in util-linux v2.33, prepared new mtools version, and also in dosfstools
> git (unreleased) https://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/msg2645732.html
>
> Project dosfstools contains de-facto standard Linux userspace tools for
> FAT filesystems (mkfs.fat, fsck.fat, fatlabel) and so it is quite
> important because of high usage of FAT.
>
> But there was no new release of dosfstools since Jan 2017 and for more
> then month I'm unsuccessfully try to contact maintainer of dosfstools
> project (Andreas) about future of project itself.
>
> I do not know what happened, if either Andreas do not have time or
> something else...
>
> So does somebody know what is state of dosfstools project?
>
> Also there are lot of proposed changes (with patches) for this project
> https://github.com/dosfstools/dosfstools/pulls and also more reported
> bugs https://github.com/dosfstools/dosfstools/issues
>
> If Andreas does not have time, can somebody else at least look at pull
> requests and do some code review?
>
> I have some other unpublished/unfinished changes for dosfstools, but I
> do not know now if it make sense to invest more time in this project
> when maintainer does not respond... if this project is active or going
> to be dead...
>
> If dosfstools is going to be inactive/dead, there is still mtools
> project with provides FAT tools too and maintainer of it is now
> preparing new bugfix version. So at least some alternative exists.

If the current dosfstools maintainer is non-responsive, you could always
fork the project in GitHub, land the critical patches into your branch,
 and make a release on your own.  If the maintainer surfaces again, then
they can pull in your patches.  If not, then you are the new maintainer.

Cheers, Andreas

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (874 bytes)