Date:   Wed, 24 Oct 2018 11:34:22 -0500
From:   Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@...nel.org>
To:     Meelis Roos <mroos@...ux.ee>
Cc:     Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>,
        linux-pci@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: HP DL585 warm boot fail (old)

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 05:47:17PM +0300, Meelis Roos wrote:
> > Can you try the patch below?  This is extracted from the code here:
> > https://github.com/joyent/illumos-joyent/blob/b6a0b04d591f5b877cfe05f45e81f0e8a5cfc2b3/usr/src/uts/intel/io/pci/pci_boot.c#L1805
>
> Thank you. Unfortunately it does not change anything noticable.

Do you see the "disabling NMI on error" message?

Can you boot with "pci=earlydump vga=0xf07" and capture the output?
Drop the "vga=0xf07" if it doesn't work or makes the screen
unreadable.

> > I'm not sure why this would be only an intermittent problem, but at
> > least we can see if this is related.
>
> It seems 4.19 and current git are 100% reproducers so far - I have
> not managed to successfully boot either of them yet. I have seen
> 4.19-rc1 era git kernel booting at least once.
>
> I noticed that Debian packaged 4.17 with initramfs worked fine so
> far for my test, from these I have in grub menu. My selfcompiled
> kernels do not use initramfs.

It seems like the hang happens long before we would do anything with
an initramfs, but maybe there's a timing or memory map issue.  It
seems like a hassle to pursue this angle, but if we can't figure it
out otherwise, maybe we'll have to.

Bjorn