Date:   Sat, 27 Oct 2018 07:12:39 +0000
From:   visionsofalice@...chan.it
To:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:     Eben Moglen <moglen@...umbia.edu>, esr@...rsus.com,
        gregkh@...uxfoundation.org, rms@....org, bruce@...ens.com
Subject: Re: The linux devs can rescind their license grant.

Lawrence Rosen is also in agreement on this point (regarding the GPL v2
specifically).
It is revocable at the will of the grantor, at any time.
(He writes that if a licensee-contributor was to sue a grantor, then
would be a good time to unilaterally rescind: disposing of the matter
entirely)

The contention that a copyright license is only terminable is
traditionally usually true in practice; but not because such is declared
by the Copyright Statute (such is not). It is because, in practice,
those terms are supported by consideration. Thus the licensee has payed
the grantor for those very terms to be in effect.

In the case of most users and most developers of the linux-kernel this
is not the case.

In-fact The very principal that, in the real world, precipitated the
widespread adoption of linux:
that no consideration is paid for receipt of the program.

The GPL v2 is not supported by consideration.
This is its strength.
And it is not something that can be disclaimed after the fact.

The drafter of version 2 of the GPL did, indeed, make an error in
drafting. He was, perhaps, familiar mostly with commercial copyright
licenses.
The foundation of the GPL does not rest on any contemplation of
quid-pro-quo or contract theories however;
it is on the simple declaration in the Copyright Statute that copyright
is alienable in all ways property is.
The GPL v2 is similar to a property license, and not a traditional