Date:   Thu, 8 Nov 2018 16:54:23 -0800
From:   Andi Kleen <ak@...ux.intel.com>
To:     Milian Wolff <milian.wolff@...b.com>
Cc:     Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...hat.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...nel.org>, namhyung@...nel.org,
        linux-perf-users@...r.kernel.org,
        Arnaldo Carvalho <acme@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: PEBS level 2/3 breaks dwarf unwinding! [WAS: Re: Broken dwarf
 unwinding - wrong stack pointer register value?]

> - Independently, when I add a custom printk manually in `arch/x86/events/
> intel/ds.c` at the end of `setup_pebs_sample_data`, then I'm never seeing any
> differences between SP in iregs/pebs/regs. Shouldn't it also be recorded via
> PEBS? Or is it just chance that I'm never seeing any difference in
> setup_pebs_sample_data between iregs->sp and regs->sp?

It will depend on the workload.

> - Generally, how do we want to handle this bug? If `--intr-regs` would
> actually record a different IP than stored in uregs in the perf.data file,
> then we could use that as a fallback for unwinding, when it fails the first
> time. Or should we always unwind from that IP? How do we mark the "actual"
> frame/IP then, if that differs?

I don't think the regs include IP currently? Would need to add it.
Then could report everything from the original stack in intr-regs,
and this would address that problem.

Yes it might be useful to add some indication to the sample that
there is a potential divergence between the backtrace and the IP.
Would also need to report that in perf report then.

-Andi