Date:   Tue, 27 Nov 2018 12:43:16 -0500
From:   "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@...hat.com>
To:     kernel test robot <rong.a.chen@...el.com>
Cc:     NeilBrown <neilb@...e.com>, Jeff Layton <jlayton@...nel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Jeff Layton <jlayton@...hat.com>, lkp@...org,
        linux-nfs@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [LKP] [fs/locks]  83b381078b:  will-it-scale.per_thread_ops
 -62.5% regression

Thanks for the report!

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 02:01:02PM +0800, kernel test robot wrote:
> FYI, we noticed a -62.5% regression of will-it-scale.per_thread_ops due to commit:
>

> commit: 83b381078b5ecab098ebf6bc9548bb32af1dbf31 ("fs/locks: always delete_block after waiting.")
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/jlayton/linux.git locks-next
>
> in testcase: will-it-scale
> on test machine: 88 threads Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20GHz with 64G memory
> with following parameters:
>
> 	nr_task: 16
> 	mode: thread
> 	test: lock1

So I guess it's doing this, uncontended file lock/unlock?:

	https://github.com/antonblanchard/will-it-scale/blob/master/tests/lock1.c

Each thread is repeatedly locking and unlocking a file that is only used
by that thread.

By the way, what's the X-axis on these graphs?  (Or the y-axis, for that
matter?)

--b.