Date:   Fri, 7 Dec 2018 16:40:52 -0800
From:   Nadav Amit <nadav.amit@...il.com>
To:     Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
Cc:     Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>,
        Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@...e.cz>,
        Linux-MM <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, X86 ML <x86@...nel.org>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Should this_cpu_read() be volatile?

[Resend, changing title & adding lkml and some others ]

On Dec 7, 2018, at 3:12 PM, Nadav Amit <nadav.amit@...il.com> wrote:

[ We can start a new thread, since I have the tendency to hijack threads. ]

> On Dec 7, 2018, at 12:45 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 09:26:24AM -0800, Nadav Amit wrote:

[snip]

>>> No. like the commit writes this_cpu_read() _must_ imply READ_ONCE(). If
>>> you want something else, use something else, there's plenty other
>>> options available.
>>>
>>> There's this_cpu_op_stable(), but also __this_cpu_read() and
>>> raw_this_cpu_read() (which currently don't differ from this_cpu_read()
>>> but could).
>>
>> Would setting the inline assembly memory operand both as input and output be
>> better than using the “volatile”?
>
> I don't know.. I'm forever befuddled by the exact semantics of gcc
> inline asm.
>
>> I think that If you do that, the compiler would should the this_cpu_read()
>> as something that changes the per-cpu-variable, which would make it invalid
>> to re-read the value. At the same time, it would not prevent reordering the
>> read with other stuff.
>
> So the thing is; as I wrote, the generic version of this_cpu_*() is:
>
> 	local_irq_save();
> 	__this_cpu_*();
> 	local_irq_restore();
>
> And per local_irq_{save,restore}() including compiler barriers that
> cannot be reordered around either.
>
> And per the principle of least surprise, I think our primitives should
> have similar semantics.

I guess so, but as you’ll see below, the end result is ugly.

> I'm actually having difficulty finding the this_cpu_read() in any of the
> functions you mention, so I cannot make any concrete suggestions other
> than pointing at the alternative functions available.

So I got deeper into the code to understand a couple of differences. In the
case of select_idle_sibling(), the patch (Peter’s) increase the function
code size by 123 bytes (over the baseline of 986). The per-cpu variable is
called through the following call chain:

	select_idle_sibling()
	=> select_idle_cpu()
	=> local_clock()
	=> raw_smp_processor_id()

And results in 2 more calls to sched_clock_cpu(), as the compiler assumes
the processor id changes in between (which obviously wouldn’t happen). There
may be more changes around, which I didn’t fully analyze. But the very least
reading the processor id should not get “volatile”.

As for finish_task_switch(), the impact is only few bytes, but still
unnecessary. It appears that with your patch preempt_count() causes multiple
reads of __preempt_count in this code:

       if (WARN_ONCE(preempt_count() != 2*PREEMPT_DISABLE_OFFSET,
                     "corrupted preempt_count: %s/%d/0x%x\n",
                     current->comm, current->pid, preempt_count()))
               preempt_count_set(FORK_PREEMPT_COUNT);

Again, this is unwarranted, as the preemption count should not be changed in
any interrupt.