Date:   Mon, 31 Dec 2018 22:02:31 +0100
From:   Hans de Goede <hdegoede@...hat.com>
To:     Pierre-Louis Bossart <pierre-louis.bossart@...ux.intel.com>,
        Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>
Cc:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>,
        Liam Girdwood <lgirdwood@...il.com>,
        Azat Khuzhin <dohardgopro@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] sound updates for 4.21

Hi,

On 12/31/18 9:10 PM, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

> On 12/31/18 12:15 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 11:24:41 +0100,
>> Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

>>> The two patches which added the PCI class checks were supposed to be a
>>> simple bullet-proof way of detecting the DSP presence and solving a
>>> problem of coexistence between two drivers. At this point if we start
>>> adding quirks and still have unclear issues with HDMI support which
>>> isn't different for CFL+, it may be wiser to revert them to let the
>>> 4.21 merge window progress? It's frustrating but I'd rather solve this
>>> problem the right way than with multiple iterations rushed because of
>>> the merge window timing.
>> Fair enough, let's revert them for now.  I'm going to submit the
>> revert patch.
>
> Thanks Takashi. If everyone who has been impacted by this issue can send me privately the result of the following two commands it'd help us figure out which machines expose the DSP - we may ask for additional information, e.g. NHLT tables. We clearly need to widen the validation scope since there is obviously a disconnect between what 3rd party BIOS expose and the technical consensus within Intel audio teams. Thanks in advance for your time.
>
> -Pierre

On my Apollo Lake laptop which is also affected by this:

> lspci -s 0:1f.3 -vn

00:0e.0 0403: 8086:5a98 (rev 0b) (prog-if 80)
         Subsystem: 10ec:111a
         Memory at 91218000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
         Memory at 91000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
         Capabilities: <access denied>
         Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
         Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_soc_skl

> more /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:00\:1f.3/class (should return 0x040100 or 0x040380, if the value is 0x040300 then the DSP is not exposed)

0x040380

Regards,

Hans