Date:   Mon, 14 Jan 2019 15:55:28 +0100
From:   Benjamin Tissoires <benjamin.tissoires@...hat.com>
To:     Anatoly Trosinenko <anatoly.trosinenko@...il.com>
Cc:     Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>, Jiri Kosina <jikos@...nel.org>,
        lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        "open list:HID CORE LAYER" <linux-input@...r.kernel.org>,
        Roderick Colenbrander <thunderbird2k@...il.com>
Subject: Re: NULL pointer dereference when writing fuzzed data to /dev/uhid

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 3:23 PM Anatoly Trosinenko
<anatoly.trosinenko@...il.com> wrote:

> > fuzzed data is hard to discriminate from valid data.
>
> Just in case it can be helpful... If it is about manually "parsing"
> descriptors to understand what is wrong by hands, then maybe Kaitai
> Struct parser generator can help. I understand it is probably not
> suited well for in-kernel binary parsing, but given a text-form
> description of a format, it can visualize parsed binary data as a
> hierarchical structure.

Well, the data and parsing is pretty straightforward (see
http://who-t.blogspot.com/2018/12/understanding-hid-report-descriptors.html
if you want to have an entertaining understanding, instead of reading
the specs). The problem is the fuzzed data looks like a correct one,
but there is garbage in the middle.

And we can not simply rely on some global CRC that would prevent
fuzzing because there is none. And the report descriptor is in the
device, so we can't upgrade all of them.

So in the end, sending a fuzz HID report descriptor is like sending a
language grammar that doesn't mean anything. The parser says, "well,
yes, why not", but sometime the rest of the drivers expect a little
bit more, and this is where it gets hard to see.

Cheers,
Benjamin