Date:   Tue, 15 Jan 2019 12:15:37 +0100
From:   Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:     Pali Rohár <pali.rohar@...il.com>
Cc:     Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, Michael Sabolish <sabolish@...com>,
        Kevin Weidemann <kwe-lnx@...tn.eu>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: udf: Prevent write-unsupported filesystem to be remounted
 read-write

On Tue 15-01-19 11:50:41, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 January 2019 10:45:55 Jan Kara wrote:

> > > Question is if it is a good idea to follow this interface.
> >
> > Agreed. I'll leave that decision up to you as a maintainer :)

> > > Access type is stored in partition descriptor and in UDF (as opposite of
> > > ECMA-167) you can have only one partition descriptor. IIRC there is some
> > > exception when you have two partition descriptors, but then one have to be
> > > readonly and second virtual.
> >
> > Ah, right, I forgot that UDF standard limits how partitions can be set up.
> > However I don't see anything that would limit number of "type 1" maps? I've
> > only found in 2.2.4.7 that "Partition Maps shall be limited to Partition
> > Map type 1, except type 2 maps ...". In which I'm not sure whether this is
> > meant to imply there is only one 'type 1' partition map or whether there
> > can be more of them.
>
> That is interesting question... I just found following:
>
> In section "2. Basic Restrictions & Requirements" there is information
> about "Partition Descriptor":
>
> A Partition Descriptor Access Type of read-only, rewritable,
> overwritable, write-once and pseudo-overwritable shall be supported.
> There shall be exactly one prevailing Partition Descriptor recorded per
> volume, with one exception. For Volume Sets that consist of single
> volume, the volume may contain 2 non-overlapping Partitions with 2
> prevailing Partition Descriptors only if one has an Access Type of
> read-only and the other has an Access Type of rewritable, overwritable,
> or write-once. The Logical Volume for this volume would consist of the
> contents of both partitions.
>
> But again it does not answer to your question.

Well, it does at least for the purposes of our discussion. Because even if
you would have more than one partition map, you would still have only one
partition descriptor and the access type is specified in the partition
descriptor, not in the partition map. So the above paragraph basically says
that we can set access type arbitrarily only if there is exactly one
partition descriptor. If there are two, we can switch partition only
between overwritable, write-once, pseudo-overwrite but I don't think that's
really useful. Thanks for enlightening me :).

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@...e.com>
SUSE Labs, CR