Date:   Wed, 16 Jan 2019 22:49:07 +0300
From:   Maxim Uvarov <maxim.uvarov@...aro.org>
To:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: license for samples in Linux kernel

Hello community,

I would like to touch such delicate question as GPL license for
/samples maintained inside linux kernel. Samples are usually exist for
quick bootstrap your application. I.e. people just start with
copy-pasting samples, see that they work then do something on top of
it. Here is problem with quick integration new features from samples
to non GPL code. For example let's take eBPF/AF_XDP samples and
tcpdump application which is BSD licensed. Theoretically samples
should help to use new kernel features but in practise it can create
legal precedent that GPL code was merged to BSD project or some other
non GPL project. Which is might happen if we assume that project
maintainers are not aware that code was copy-pasted. I'm sorry if this
topic was already discussed. But if it is not it might be good to
think about it. My proposal is to remove GPL restriction from samples
and publish them as public domain.

Thank you,
Maxim.