Date:   Mon, 4 Feb 2019 12:59:22 +0200
From:   Vladimir Kondratiev <vladimir.kondratiev@...ux.intel.com>
To:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: RFC: striving for automotive grade certification

Hi,

I am looking how can we get kernel certified for life critical
applications, in particular for automotive industry. Mean drive train,
not infotainment.

To begin with, all certification processes are talking about cleaning
compilation warnings at level higher then usual.

Example would be unused parameter in function. This is what I want to
start with. There are lots of warnings triggered in kernel compilation
by -Wunused-parameter, it is perhaps most frequent warning at all.
Technically it is not hard to fix all such warnings by adding
__always_unused when needed. However this will produce huge patch
touching lots of files for kind of nothing. So, before starting this
effort, I want to consult:
  - is this (massive cleanup) right direction in general?
  - Any ideas better then marking __always_unused?
  - what to do in cases where parameter is unused depending on some
pre-processor conditions?
  - is it better to do one huge patch or split into pieces?

Thanks, Vladimir