Date:   Tue, 5 Feb 2019 16:15:11 +0100
From:   Hannes Reinecke <hare@...e.de>
To:     John Garry <john.garry@...wei.com>,
        Keith Busch <keith.busch@...el.com>
Cc:     Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>,
        Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier@....com>,
        "axboe@...nel.dk" <axboe@...nel.dk>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        Michael Ellerman <mpe@...erman.id.au>,
        Linuxarm <linuxarm@...wei.com>,
        Hannes Reinecke <hare@...e.com>,
        "linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org" <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>,
        "linux-block@...r.kernel.org" <linux-block@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Question on handling managed IRQs when hotplugging CPUs

On 2/5/19 4:09 PM, John Garry wrote:
> On 05/02/2019 14:52, Keith Busch wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 05:24:11AM -0800, John Garry wrote:
>>> On 04/02/2019 07:12, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Hannes,

>>> I don't fully understand this idea - specifically, at which layer would
>>> we be waiting for all the IO to complete?
>>
>> Whichever layer dispatched the IO to a CPU specific context should
>> be the one to wait for its completion. That should be blk-mq for most
>> block drivers.
>
> For SCSI devices, unfortunately not all IO sent to the HW originates
> from blk-mq or any other single entity.

No, not as such.
But each IO sent to the HW requires a unique identifcation (ie a valid
tag). And as the tagspace is managed by block-mq (minus management
commands, but I'm working on that currently) we can easily figure out if
the device is busy by checking for an empty tag map.

Should be doable for most modern HBAs.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke		   Teamlead Storage & Networking
hare@...e.de			               +49 911 74053 688