Date:   Wed, 06 Feb 2019 15:28:35 -0500
From:   Doug Ledford <dledford@...hat.com>
To:     Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>
Cc:     Christopher Lameter <cl@...ux.com>, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...pe.ca>,
        Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, Ira Weiny <ira.weiny@...el.com>,
        lsf-pc@...ts.linux-foundation.org, linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-mm@...ck.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        John Hubbard <jhubbard@...dia.com>,
        Jerome Glisse <jglisse@...hat.com>,
        Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>,
        Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Discuss least bad options for resolving
 longterm-GUP usage by RDMA

On Wed, 2019-02-06 at 12:20 -0800, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2019 at 03:16:02PM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:
> > >
> > > ... except for truncate.  And now that I think about it, there was a
> > > desire to support hot-unplug which also needed revoke.
> >
> > We already support hot unplug of RDMA devices.  But it is extreme.  How
> > does hot unplug deal with a program running from the device (something
> > that would have returned ETXTBSY)?
>
> Not hot-unplugging the RDMA device but hot-unplugging an NV-DIMM.
>
> It's straightforward to migrate text pages from one DIMM to another;
> you remove the PTEs from the CPU's page tables, copy the data over and
> pagefaults put the new PTEs in place.  We don't have a way to do similar
> things to an RDMA device, do we?

We don't have a means of migration except in the narrowly scoped sense
of queue pair migration as defined by the IBTA and implemented on some
dual port IB cards.  This narrowly scoped migration even still involves
notification of the app.

Since there's no guarantee that any other port can connect to the same
machine as any port that's going away, it would always be a
disconnect/reconnect sequence in the app to support this, not an under
the covers migration.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@...hat.com>
    GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)