Date:   Mon, 11 Feb 2019 15:55:10 -0300
From:   Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...nel.org>
To:     Stephane Eranian <eranian@...gle.com>
Cc:     Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...hat.com>,
        Alexey Budankov <alexey.budankov@...ux.intel.com>,
        Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...nel.org>,
        lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        Namhyung Kim <namhyung@...nel.org>,
        Alexander Shishkin <alexander.shishkin@...ux.intel.com>,
        Adrian Hunter <adrian.hunter@...el.com>,
        Andi Kleen <ak@...ux.intel.com>,
        Song Liu <songliubraving@...com>
Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 00/14] perf record: Add support to store data in
 directory

Em Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:34:16AM -0800, Stephane Eranian escreveu:
> Jiri,
>
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:20 AM Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...hat.com> wrote:

> > > yep, I think we have almost all the features covered for pipe mode,
> > > and we have all necessary events to describe events features
> > >
> > > so with some effort we could switch off the superfluos file header
> > > and use only events to describe events ;-) make sense, I'll check
> > > on it
> >
> > so following features are not synthesized:
> >
> >         FEAT_OPN(TRACING_DATA,  tracing_data,   false),
> >         FEAT_OPN(BUILD_ID,      build_id,       false),
> >         FEAT_OPN(BRANCH_STACK,  branch_stack,   false),
> >         FEAT_OPN(AUXTRACE,      auxtrace,       false),
> >         FEAT_OPN(STAT,          stat,           false),
> >         FEAT_OPN(CACHE,         cache,          true),
> >
> What do you need for BRANCH_STACK?
>
> > I think all could be added and worked around with exception
> > of BUILD_ID, which we store at the end (after processing
> > all data) and we need it early in the report phase
> >
> Buildids are injected after the fact via perf inject when in pipe mode.
>
> > maybe it's time to re-think that buildid -> mmap event
> > association again, because it's pain in current implementation
> > as well
> >
> Sure, but what do you propose?

this keeps resurfacing, the idea is to have the building go together
with the PERF_RECORD_MMAP3 event, i.e. as part of setting up an
executable mapping the loader would get the buildid and ask the kernel
to keep it aroung, then when a PERF_RECORD_MMAP needs to be issued, it
can include the build id, so tooling will not need to get it.

Alternatively, we would have a separate thread to process
PERF_RECORD_MMAP events, and as soon as it gets one from the kernel,
augment it straight away with the build-id it reads from the ELF file,
i.e. no need to have the kernel provide it, do it just like we do with
PERF_RECORD_BPF_EVENT, which reminds me Song probably already posted
thise bits...

--

- Arnaldo