Date:   Sun, 17 Feb 2019 09:42:50 +1100
From:   Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>
To:     Ira Weiny <ira.weiny@...el.com>
Cc:     Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...pe.ca>, Christopher Lameter <cl@...ux.com>,
        Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>,
        Jerome Glisse <jglisse@...hat.com>,
        Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>,
        Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, Doug Ledford <dledford@...hat.com>,
        lsf-pc@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
        linux-rdma <linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux MM <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        John Hubbard <jhubbard@...dia.com>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Discuss least bad options for resolving
 longterm-GUP usage by RDMA

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 03:38:29PM -0800, Ira Weiny wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 03:00:31PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > > It makes a lot of sense since the filesystems play COW etc games with the
> > > pages and RDMA is very much like O_DIRECT in that the pages are modified
> > > directly under I/O. It also bypasses the page cache in case you have
> > > not noticed yet.
> >
> > It is quite different, O_DIRECT modifies the physical blocks on the
> > storage, bypassing the memory copy.
> >

> Really?  I thought O_DIRECT allowed the block drivers to write to/from user
> space buffers.  But the _storage_ was still under the control of the block
> drivers?

Yup, in a nutshell. Even O_DIRECT on DAX doesn't modify the physical
storage directly - it ends up in the pmem driver and it does a
memcpy() to move the data to/from the physical storage and the user
space buffer. It's exactly the same IO path as moving data to/from
the physical storage into the page cache pages....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner