Date:   Mon, 18 Feb 2019 21:53:43 +0100
From:   David Hildenbrand <david@...hat.com>
To:     "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
Cc:     Nitesh Narayan Lal <nitesh@...hat.com>, kvm@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, pbonzini@...hat.com,
        lcapitulino@...hat.com, pagupta@...hat.com, wei.w.wang@...el.com,
        yang.zhang.wz@...il.com, riel@...riel.com, dodgen@...gle.com,
        konrad.wilk@...cle.com, dhildenb@...hat.com, aarcange@...hat.com,
        Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC][Patch v8 0/7] KVM: Guest Free Page Hinting

On 18.02.19 21:31, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>>> It bothers me that we are now tied to interface being synchronous. We
>>> won't be able to fix it if there's an issue as that would break guests.
>>
>> I assume with "fix it" you mean "fix kfree taking longer on every X call"?
>>
>> Yes, as I initially wrote, this mimics s390x. That might be good (we
>> know it has been working for years) and bad (we are inheriting the same
>> problem class, if it exists). And being synchronous is part of the
>> approach for now.
>
> BTW on s390 are these hypercalls handled by Linux?

I assume you mean in KVM - Yes! There is a hardware assist to handle the
"queuing of 512 pfns" but once the buffer is full, the actual hypercall
intercept will be triggered.

arch/s390/kvm/priv.c:handle_essa()

The interesting part is

down_read(&gmap->mm->mmap_sem);
for (i = 0; i < entries; ++i);
	__gmap_zap(gmap, cbrlo[i]);
up_read(&gmap->mm->mmap_sem);

cbrlo is the pfn array stored in the hypervisor.

>> I tend to focus on the first part (we don't know anything besides it is
>> working) while you focus on the second part (there could be a potential
>> problem). Having a real problem at hand would be great, then we would
>> know what exactly we actually have to fix. But read below.
>
> If we end up doing a hypercall per THP, maybe we could at least
> not block with interrupts disabled? Poll in guest until
> hypervisor reports its done?  That would already be an
> improvement IMHO. E.g. perf within guest will point you
> in the right direction and towards disabling hinting.

I think we always have the option to busy loop where we consider it more
helpful. On synchronous hypercalls, no waiting is necessary. Only on
asynchronous ones (which would the most probably be virtio based).

I don't think only reporting THP will be future proof. So with whatever
we come up, it has to be able to deal with smaller granularities. Not
saying eventually page granularity, but at least some other orders. The
only solution to avoid overhead of many hypercalls is then to report
multiple ones in one shot.

>>> For the buffer to be used, yes. And it could mean putting some pages
>>> aside until hypervisor is done with them. Then you don't need timers or
>>> tricks like this, you can get an interrupt and start using the memory.
>>
>> I am very open to such an approach as long as we can make it work and it
>> is not too complicated. (-> simple)
>>
>> This would mean for example
>>
>> 1. Collect entries to be reported per VCPU in a buffer. Say magic number
>> 256/512.
>>
>> 2. Once the buffer is full, do crazy "take pages out of the balloon
>> action" and report them to the hypervisor via virtio. Let the VCPU
>> continue. This will require some memory to store the request. Small
>> hickup for the VCPU to kick of the reporting to the hypervisor.
>>
>> 3. On interrupt/response, go over the response and put the pages back to
>> the buddy.
>>
>> (assuming that reporting a bulk of frees is better than reporting every
>> single free obviously)
>>
>> This could allow nice things like "when OOM gets trigger, see if pages
>> are currently being reported and wait until they have been put back to
>> the buddy, return "new pages available", so in a real "low on memory"
>> scenario, no OOM killer would get involved. This could address the issue
>> Wei had with reporting when low on memory.
>>
>> Is that something you have in mind?
>
> Yes that seems more future proof I think.

And it would satisfy your request for an asynchronous interface. + we
would get rid of the kthread(s).

>> I assume we would have to allocate
>> memory when crafting the new requests. This is the only reason I tend to
>> prefer a synchronous interface for now. But if allocation is not a
>> problem, great.
>
> There are two main ways to avoid allocation:
> 1. do not add extra data on top of each chunk passed
> 2. add extra data but pre-allocate buffers for it

It could theoretically happen that while the old VCPU buffer is still
getting reported, that we want to free a page, so we need a new buffer I
assume. Busy waiting is an option (hmm), or have to skip that page, but
that is something I want to avoid. So allocating memory for the request
seems to be the cleanest approach.

But after all, as we are literally allocating buddy pages to report
temporarily, we can also most probably also allocate memory. We will
have to look into the details.

So the options I see so far are

1. Do a synchronous hypercall, reporting a bunch of pages as described
initially in this thread. Release page to the buddy when returning from
the hypercall.

2. Do an asynchronous hypercall (allocating memory for the request),
reporting a bunch of pages. Release page to the buddy when on response
via interrupt.

Thanks for the helpful discussion Michael!

David / dhildenb