Date:   Thu, 28 Feb 2019 19:19:55 +0900
From:   Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@...ove.sakura.ne.jp>
To:     Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@...gle.com>
Cc:     syzbot <syzbot+e1b8084e532b6ee7afab@...kaller.appspotmail.com>,
        syzkaller-bugs <syzkaller-bugs@...glegroups.com>,
        James Morris <jmorris@...ei.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org,
        "Serge E. Hallyn" <serge@...lyn.com>, takedakn@...data.co.jp
Subject: Re: kernel panic: MAC Initialization failed.

On 2019/02/28 15:51, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 11:37 PM Tetsuo Handa
>>
>> Thank you. The LSM stacking seems to be working as expected.
>> But this one should not be considered as a bug.
>>
>> If something went wrong before loading access control rules,
>> it is pointless to continue. Thus, stopping with kernel panic.
>
> Hi Tetsuo,
>
> What misconfiguration you mean?

To use security modules, access control rules need to be loaded. Regarding
TOMOYO, access control rules can be loaded from the kernel itself (built-in)
and/or from /etc/tomoyo/ directory via /sbin/tomoyo-init (run-time).

Since the kernel is built without built-in policy and /sbin/tomoyo-init does
not exist, memory allocation failure is handled as a fatal problem.

But if syzbot cannot test other paths due to hitting this path, we need to somehow
avoid panic(). Can you add tomoyo-tools package into your rootfs images? It is
explained at https://tomoyo.osdn.jp/2.6/chapter-3.html .